Color or B&W GPS??

fllawyer

Cadet
Recently bought a center console, which came with a Humminbird Matrix 12 fishfinder. Sonar is not as reliable as I'd hoped it would be, and I find myself too often having to consult my Charts application on my iPhone while navigating around. Think it'd be a good idea to upgrade the Humminbird, since I already have the mount, and *think* that any unit should fit in that mount. I'd also use the new transducer.

I've kind of settled on the Humminbird 385CI, which with Color + GPS, is $376.86. Does anyone have experience with this unit? I like the color, and it seems to be a pretty good unit for the money.

However, the Humminbird 365I seems to be the B&W version of the 385, and is roughly $100 cheaper.

Can anyone offer suggestions or advice as to this situation? Thanks!

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Color or B&W GPS??

I have used both color and B&W and prefer the color for the simple reason that I can tell what the correct path is around a navaid with a quicker look due to the color of the navaid. With B&W, I have to discern the shape of the navaid on the screen and that takes me longer. I prefer to spend as little time as possible looking down at instruments while underway, especially at night. That said, I boat in rocky areas that are challenging to navigate and I consult my chart plotter often.

Rumley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have used both color and black and white. I currently have a b&w but hands down would spend the money to get the color unit. I like to be able to glance down and see that I am in dark blue water so I know there is lots where in a bw model you are looking for the contour and the actual depth.
As to the hummingbird model, I may be mistaken but doesn't that model not have the option to add the navionics sd card maps? I beleive I used to sell that model often but I didn't personally like it because you could not use the sd card charts. It only had the base map which is good for many people but myself in Huron which is all charted it was not worth it to me personally. But check the options as well as what you need it for.

One other personal preference I have is I would keep the old model sonar mounted as well. When you are on the split screen between gps and sonar it gets hard to read because the screen is small. Just something to consider. When selling units I was always byassed to low trance personally, but I'm really starting to like the hummingbird line. A 797 hummingbird with down imaging and side imaging would be my choice if you can afford it. Personally I can't so for the next year or 2 I will stick with my lowrance lms-480 black and white

Rumley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did a bit more research. It does seem like it has the option to add the navionics charts so scratch that part from my first reply. Take into consideration the screen size part of my reply as the 385ci is only a 3.5" diagonal screen. Just my 2 cents. Others I sold that people seemed to really like we're the humminbird 587ci or the lowrance elite 5. The 587 has a 4.5" and the lowrance a 5".

fllawyer

Cadet

Rumley and Mischief-

Appreciate you both taking the time to weigh in. The ability to add the navionics was one of the things that appealed to me, since here in Tampa/St. Pete it can get shallow quick in some areas. Also, I've got an existing Humminbird mount already drilled in, so I'm semi-stuck with Humminbird as I'd rather not have to re-wire another mount. I will look into the 587, but feel it might be a bit out of my price range...the 385CI would be slightly over what I was looking to pay, but from your comments think it is the right choice.

Interesting note you made about leaving the old Sonar...I may have to give that some more thought. My concern is just that I hate to keep cutting holes in my console.

One more thing - I see the Navionics SD cards and notice they are quite expensive...to the tune of ~$200 for coastal US maps. Any tips on where to find these cheaper?

Rumley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not too sure for you where you would find the charts. Here in Ontario that is about how much they are for the great lakes. Worth every penny if you ask me. I have the chart book as well, you never know when your electronics will fail. The chart book for the great lakes is about 145 so to have it on the gps for 50$ more is not a bad price to me.
My boat I have a very old chart plotter/sonar combo and my much newer lowrance unit. I keep the newer unit on navigation and the older on the sonar. It's alot easier to glance down and see the bigger screen then having to stare at it to try to distinguish what it is telling you. I am fortunate that I have alot of room on my dash to have both installed. If you have the room I highly recommend keeping them both. And you never know when you will have a problem with 1 unit. At least if the gps fails you still have the depth you are in.

There are other alternatives as well on a budget. When I was using my dads aluminum I bought a portable unit that works in the car as a road gps, and also supported navionics on the water which was color. I don't beleive they make it anymore but it was the lowrance XOG. Not as convenient as a marine only unit but extremely handy. My friend still uses it in his boat. He bought his own navionics card and uses that because I have the one mounted in my boat. Extremely handy if you want to go out with someone else's boat or if you buy a different boat. No drilling, has a suction cup mount an just requires you typical 12 v cigarette light style socket.

Hope the information helps you a bit. The best to do is go to a store that has the demo units and play around with them to find out how easy they are to use. My lowrance has a million features that I don't know how to use but it is also very simple to see the path that I am driving and the depths around me so that's all I need it for.
But everything is just my opinion, do your own research and see what you can afford and how you like it