Boat ran for 2 minutes then DIED! Think its a fuel issue. Please help!!

avi8or3117

Seaman Apprentice
Hello.
I have a 5.7 merc. engine with alpha one outdrive. Its an 89 Wellcraft. The boat ran fine on the trailer, but today when I was out on the water it died on me. We idled out of the no wake zone and then went to give it gas and it just died. I gave it gas for about 20-30 seconds and then it just gave out. It would not start so we let it sit for about 20 minutes and then it started. Ran for about 2 minutes then died again. We pulled it out of the water and now it wont even start on the trailer. Is this a fuel issue?? Fuel filter? Carb issue?

We bought the boat last October and tested it in the water with no problems. We ran it for about 10 minutes in the water then. I have tried to crank and run the engine once every 4 weeks during the winter and it did so without any problems while it was on the trailer.

Also where are the trouble shooting guides?? What are stickies?

Thanks for any help in this matter.

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boat ran for 2 minutes then DIED! Think its a fuel issue. Please help!!

First pull the fuel water seperator filter ans dump it in a plastic container an see if you have water in your fuel. This is assuming that you are getting spark at the ignition. I am assuming this engine is carburated with a mechanical fuel pump.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

I would first check for spark

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

I had very similar symptoms recently when my mech fuel pump failed and the pump quit pumping (broken diaphram shaft connection). This was an aftermarket pump with only 7.5 hours on it (I have a 5.0L that uses the same pump as the 5.7). Luckily it failed while I was trailering the boat to head home from the lake.
What is the history of your fuel system?
As for "stickies" go to the top of the mercruiser forum area and you'll find them. Tons of useful info there!

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

All signs point to fuel delivery.

- Check quality of gas. You may need to pump out and replace.
- Check fuel filters
- Check fuel pump

ssb33r

Seaman Apprentice

We bought the boat last October and tested it in the water with no problems. We ran it for about 10 minutes in the water then. I have tried to crank and run the engine once every 4 weeks during the winter and it did so without any problems while it was on the trailer.
Did you have the drive on? If so did you have muffs on it?? If you ran it with the drive on and no muffs you may have burnt the impeller and it could be over heating, the time lines you give seem to be about right

rickryder

Commander

All of the above things are true.... Check them.... Have you tried sqirting some fuel in the carb? It should fire and die out if it's a fuel related problem...that would rule out a no spark issue.

The above is also true....You have to feed it water if your gonna run it....

Since you bought it last year and don't really know what has been done to the motor and drive as far as service.... I suggest you get the shop manuals and go over your boat before real damage is done....

Go here and read this....http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=342393

avi8or3117

Seaman Apprentice

hello and thank you everyone for the good info. I checked into all of the above and it turned out to be my tach. I had a bad tachometer that was messing with the starting coil. Had no idea that was even possible, but since then I have replaced the Tach and (knock on wood) the boats running good now.

Thanks again and boat safe!!
Paul