4hp johnson gets hot and wont run.

i have a older model 4hp johnson outboard that runs but runs hot. is there a water pump on this motor? what could be going wrong here?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: 4hp johnson gets hot and wont run.

i have a older model 4hp johnson outboard that runs but runs hot. is there a water pump on this motor? what could be going wrong here?

Man I could go for days on this motor. I have 2 of them, one I rebuilt and the other I cleaned up. Is it a saltwater motor. And yes there is a waterpump. Is it a lightwin or yachtwin?

Not sure what you mean by yachtwin or lightwin. Iam trying to run this motor in freshwater rivers for beaver trapping this spring. Any help on this problem is welcome. Would be nice if there was a diagram showing me what I could do to fix the problem

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Get your model # and go to shop.evinrude.com and look up your mtr. The parts diagrams will show you where the water pump is.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Not sure what you mean by yachtwin or lightwin. Iam trying to run this motor in freshwater rivers for beaver trapping this spring. Any help on this problem is welcome. Would be nice if there was a diagram showing me what I could do to fix the problem

Yachtwin or lightwin. Trying to narrow down year. Cant help without a model #. And was this motor run in salt or fresh?

Haffiman

Commander

Go to Marineengine.com and have a look at parts list section. Browse different years, unless you have the mod number to identify.

BillP

Captain

If it's an old 4hp the pump will be the same as a 3 hp JW model. The 4 is basically a hopped up 3. They made the jw 3 for around 25 yrs...something like 1950 (jw10)- 1974ish (jw -?). Search any 3hp johnson or evinrude JW model for pump info but your engine should have the model stamped on the ID plate. Parts are still available.
bp

Hey guys figured out that it is a lightwin and I couldn't find the model number. Where is the water pump on this motor?

lindy46

Captain

If it's an early 4hp, 4 bolts hold the lower unit on. Remove them and the lower will drop down. The water pump sits on top of the lower. The housing is held on by 2 bolts. Remove the housing and the impeller is inside.

Removed the 4 bolts holding on the lower and it still wont come off its like there is something inside holding it on. The model number is 4w79d if someone could find me a diagram it would be helpfully I tried to find one but had no luck

lindy46

Captain

Is that motor a direct drive (always in gear) or does it have a shift lever?

Haffiman

Commander

Driveshaft probably stuck in the crank shaft splines.

lindy46

Captain

Yup, agree. There is an O-ring at the top of the driveshaft which keeps water from getting up where the splines of the driveshaft mesh with the crank. Sometimes people fail to replace that O-ring and the result is the driveshaft rusts to the crank. Try turning the motor upside down and spraying some penetrating oil through the separation between the lower unit and the leg. This will allow oil to run down the driveshaft to the crank. Let her soak a while and see if she frees up.

Thanks for the help I'll be spraying some penetrating oil in there right now and see what happens tomorrow!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Yup and keep spraying it for a few days. If it still doesnt come loose, I tie the upper end of the motor to a tree, and ratchet tie the lower unit to another tree, and slowly add tension, and slap it with rubber mallet. This WILL get it off, but if you are not patient you can bend the driveshaft. I have done it!

sutor623

Rear Admiral

One other thing, there are four bolts that hold the powerhead and lower cowling onto the midsection. You can loosen those too if you have to and pry from there. You may also be able to get more penetrant in this way.

Haffiman

Commander

Most likely you will end up pulling the gearcase off, the shaft will still be stuck in the crank and your water pump ruined as the impeller key smacks it up. When that happens, remove the power head from the mid section, hang it up-side down in a vice and let penetrating oils work for some time. Then try to 'knock' the powerhead off the shaft. If really unlucky, the splines in the crank will be gone.