No spark #1 cylinder

BoatDr

Seaman
Can't get spark on the #1 cylinder. I thought it was the coil, so I swapped it out for a new one. Still no spark. I switched the lead from the #3 coil to the #1 and I got spark. So the A plug from the power pack doesn't seem to be working. Anything else I could try before I buy a new power pack? Thanks.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: No spark #1 cylinder

Any idea what year, model, hp this engine is? Hard to give a constructive comment without this information.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

When don't have spark on one cyl only on that mtr it's usually a pack, coil or timer base.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

That engine has two identical power packs-one for each head. You can perform a simple test by swapping them. See if the problem moves from one head to the other when the packs are swapped.

BoatDr

Seaman

That engine has two identical power packs-one for each head. You can perform a simple test by swapping them. See if the problem moves from one head to the other when the packs are swapped.

Thanks. Already on the schedule for this morning! Does the entire stator need to be replaced if its not the power pack?

BoatDr

Seaman

Switched the two leads and no spark on #2 and spark on #1. So, I have a new (used) power pack on the way. Hope it takes care of the problem. Thanks again. Just curious, how often do power packs fail?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

There are a number of ignition components on that engine, spark plug coils, power packs, timer base and stator. Of all of them, the power pack is the most commonly replaced part. (highest incidence of failure.) The only problem with that logic is if there have already been 3 or 4 power packs replaced on that engine-no guarantee that the current failure is not a failure of a coil, stator or timer base.

BonairII

Commander

the power pack is the most commonly replaced part. (highest incidence of failure.)

What causes packs to go bad? Are you saying that the Op's motor has a high incidence of PPs going bad, or just powerpacks in general?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The solid state type ignition system on that engine is a good system. It's a proven replacement for the old points system of years ago. You should have great reliability with it once you get this problem corrected. Since these ignition system components are somewhat expensive, I recommend some electronic troubleshooting before purchase of any replacement parts. That way you are sure you get the exact part you need. It's worth your time to spend some extra time on a correct diagnosis.