Lower unit grease...seal problem maybe? Need help!

silkstringz

Cadet
I got off the lake today and saw what looks to be lower unit grease dripping down from above the lower unit. There is a little hose that goes from the front of the lower unit up to the hole above the lower unit where the metal rod comes down into the lower unit. Its dripping down that hose. It quit dripping after a while. Is that a shifter rod or crank rod or what? Is it much to replace those seals? Andhow much? Its a johnson 150 fast strike

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Lower unit grease...seal problem maybe? Need help!

sounds more like the common " unburnt fuel/oil " scenerio, but check and change the gear oil to confirm there is no water intrusion.

silkstringz

Cadet

sounds more like the common " unburnt fuel/oil " scenerio, but check and change the gear oil to confirm there is no water intrusion.
That is what another very respectable OMC mechanic told me as well, thank you. The color is the only thing thats throwing me off. Could it be the fuel stabilizer that was put in it the last time it was stored. Its been setting up for a while. One more question, where the shift rod goes into the lower unit, what keeps the grease from coming out of it. Is there a seal or something around the shift rod where it goes in that keeps water from getting in the lower unit? And could lower unit fluid come out threw there?

nwcove

Admiral

i really dont do anything with the big hp motors, but on the lil guys i work on there is usually an o-ring at the shift rod. have a look at the site...marineengine.com, plug in your model year or model number, you can see all the exploded views and get a good idea of what makes your motor tick.

silkstringz

Cadet

I looked it up and there are is a gromet that goes around the shift rod where it goes in the lower unit. It just seems like its dripping down from above the shift rod? It was trickling down that little hose that goes from my lower unit up in/by the shift rod. The color is the only thing that is throwing me off. It just doesnt look like gas/oil mixture. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I just can't figure out what keeps water from getting down in the lower unit, where the shift rod goes in. Im afraid what ever keeps water out of the lower unit, where the shift rod goes in, is cracked or buggerd up and letting water in. Which in turn, since lower unit oil is lighter, pushing it up and out from around the shift rod......any ideas? I may just be paranoid but I want to make sure it isnt a bigger problem than unburnt fuel/oil mixture. Any insight, help, comment would be helpful at this point. thanks guys

nwcove

Admiral

drain the lu oil into a clean glass jar, let it sit for a few days or more, if there is water intrusion it should separate from the oil and be very visible. ( dont forget to replace the o-rings/nylon washers on the drain and fill plugs before you reinstall them)