1985 305 230HP Starting Problem.. Your Thoughts?

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys,

I'm having a starting problem and my gut tells me it's the fuel pump but not 100% sure.

Here is my scenario:

When I spray starting fluid in the carb the engine starts and then dies 3-4 seconds later. Crank on the engine, everything is popping but engine is not running.

Cap, rotor, plugs all look good. Changed fuel filter, and gas that was in the filter was dirty. Fresh gas in tank.

Now when cranking the engine, inside the carb I didn't see any gas spraying in.. Problem / cause??

The new fuel filter had fuel in it so I'm a little stumped.

Bad fuel pump?

Carb?

Thanks..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1985 305 230HP Starting Problem.. Your Thoughts?

Carb's all plugged up inside, or the fuel pump doesn't work, or you can't get fuel to the fuel pump.

Bondo

Staff member

Now when cranking the engine, inside the carb I didn't see any gas spraying in.. Problem / cause??

The new fuel filter had fuel in it so I'm a little stumped.

Bad fuel pump?

Carb?

Ayuh,.... Sounds like a carb issue...

Could be more to it, but I'd start there....

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,.... Sounds like a carb issue...

Could be more to it, but I'd start there....

I checked the new fuel / water filter and the filter was basically dry. Maybe a few drops of gas. I'm guessing the gas I put into the carb to when I was trying to start the engine.

Does a dry fuel / water filter indicate a bad fuel pump?

Don S

If there is an air leak in the fuel system before the pump, the pump will not pull the fuel. Yes, it could be the pump.
I would hook up a remote tank (outboard tank) directly to the fuel pump, prime the carb with some gas and see if it runs. May take a couple of primes to fill things and keep it running.

Don S

You could also pull the fuel pump off, hold your thumb over the inlet fitting and operate the pump by hand and see if there is any suction.

jmw129

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could also pull the fuel pump off, hold your thumb over the inlet fitting and operate the pump by hand and see if there is any suction.

I did notice where the fuel / water filter was located there were two outlets which said out & in. The "In" looks like it's been capped off with a threaded nut.

Is that normal?