Fuel issue.

ClassyBoat

Cadet
Yesterday on the lake my mericruiser 1997 3.0LX dies at idle. It also dies out at certain throttle points. not just at idle. Any ideas where i could start looking for errors. I'm thinking its a fuel issue. I have the shop manual but it?s a little confusing when it comes to fuel issues. Am i correct to say that i do not have a carburetor?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fuel issue.

Have you replaced the filter in the fuel pump lately? May have water in your fuel, and in the carb.
You may want to install a water separating fuel filter before the fuel pump.
Also hook up a remote fuel tank (outboard tank) to the fuel filter and see how it works. Many times problems in the fuel tank system can cause problems like yours. The remote tank isolates your boats fuel system.

Bondo

Staff member

Am i correct to say that i do not have a carburetor?

Nope,..... If ya don't have a carb, it ain't gonna run...

Welcome Aboard....

ClassyBoat

Cadet

Have you replaced the filter in the fuel pump lately? May have water in your fuel, and in the carb.
You may want to install a water separating fuel filter before the fuel pump.
Also hook up a remote fuel tank (outboard tank) to the fuel filter and see how it works. Many times problems in the fuel tank system can cause problems like yours. The remote tank isolates your boats fuel system.

So I pulled the Fuel/water separator filter and when I pored it out it was yellow and litlle debree came out. ???? Also the inline filter did not look bad the one that goes into the carb. Is there anything I could clean it with, or do i need to wait till tomorrow to get one at the marine shop. I doubt that our auto store would have either part.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The first thing I would do is check the fuel pump pressure.
Make a gauge and hose setup, DO NOT cut that steel tube between the fuel pump and the carb.
If the fuel pump pressure is ok, then time to rebuild the carb.