1989 cobra outdrive frozen?

larryhere

Seaman Apprentice
35 yrs working on outboards, just got a vip 20' bowrider in need of everything! my ? is should the shift cable going under the engine to the outdrive move/shift manually by hand or does it need electric/power on also? manual is on its way, just trying to do what i can while i wait for it! think i really got stuck this time. thanks larry:(

MRS

Commander
Re: 1989 cobra outdrive frozen?

I have 86 cobra on my you can move by hand easy no power assist if it is working right. When you change that cable must be done right to the spec's. Check the forum for transom shift cable you will find tons of help. Good luck hope you ordered the omc manual.

larryhere

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1989 cobra outdrive frozen?

I have 86 cobra on my you can move by hand easy no power assist if it is working right. When you change that cable must be done right to the spec's. Check the forum for transom shift cable you will find tons of help. Good luck hope you ordered the omc manual.

had a feeling it should but heard about electric shift ones and thought there might be an electric lockout for safety, or ??. I guess i will find out how to change a cable and hope its only the cable!!! thanks for the help!!!