Mercruiser 165 steering issues

I'm going through the motions involved in troubleshooting steering problems. Disconnecting steering cable to see if problem resolves itself, checking fluid levels,etc etc. I'm not through going through all these steps so a definitive answer has yet to be found. But i had a question while i'm going through this... I believe that, when the engine is running, that when looking into the power steering pump reservoir, i should see some swirling of the fluid. This is usually the case in automotive applications so i am assuming it should be no different here. My point is, that i do not see any swirling, which leads me to believe the pump is most likely the issue. Although i am continuing to check the other items involved in the steering system, i wanted to get some opinion on the swirling issue.

Merc I/O 165
Hard to steer,
No difference if engine is running or not.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mercruiser 165 steering issues

My point is, that i do not see any swirling, which leads me to believe the pump is most likely the issue.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Only when the wheel is turnin'....

I'd suspect corrosion in the aluminum tube at the transom...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is your 165 a 4 or 6 cylinder engine? Year?

165 4 cyl. 1987.
Guess i'll know about the corrosion possibility when i finally get the cable loose at the hydraulics end. The pin was completely frozen in, rust. I am still working on drilling it out. Just dont want to buy a 4-500 dollar pump for no reason.

By the way Mr. Bond-o, you were correct about the corrosion, new cable freed it right up!