replaced impeller...now no.water from pee hole

67-starcraft

Recruit
I have a 95 force 40HP and replaced impeller because only had water spitting out of pee hole....now there is no water at coming out. When I had it apart I ran water through hole to be sure there was no obstructions...stumped please help

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: replaced impeller...now no.water from pee hole

When in doubt then pull the lower off again and double check your work. The new impeller should be installed in the same rotational direction as removed. Make sure impeller holding key is in its proper place, flat side to the drive shaft and small rounded side to the impeller. Also make sure the water pickup tube is in the proper place at the pump housing. Edit. Make sure the small rounded side of the holding key is lined up with the rounded slot inside the impeller.

wickware

Lieutenant

Are you testing in "Deep Deep Barrel" or Lake vs muffs? jow

67-starcraft

Recruit

Okay, so I removed the lower unit again and rechecked all work. Drive pin is lined up fine and impeller is rotating freely. Rotated shaft by hand to make sure no binding or anything and did not find any troubles. I have tried running it with muffs and also in a tub of water. No change. I get a little exhaust smoke out the pee holes but now water at all. When I replaced impeller I did not change any gaskets but don't know if this could be a cause. I put my hand on suction holes while in tub and did not even feel like there was any suction. I am puzzled and don't know what to do next....any help is greatly appreciated.

BonairII

Commander

Okay, so I removed the lower unit again and rechecked all work. Drive pin is lined up fine and impeller is rotating freely. Rotated shaft by hand to make sure no binding or anything and did not find any troubles. I have tried running it with muffs and also in a tub of water. No change. I get a little exhaust smoke out the pee holes but now water at all. When I replaced impeller I did not change any gaskets but don't know if this could be a cause. I put my hand on suction holes while in tub and did not even feel like there was any suction. I am puzzled and don't know what to do next....any help is greatly appreciated.

This sounds exactly like what's going on with 75hp motor right now...I just started a thread today stating the same symptoms as you're having. Weird.

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

When you say that your new impeller turns freely do you mean nothing binding it or getting in the way?
It should be pretty stiff and almost impossible to move by hand.
It can be done but not without some force.
Is the small plastic piece still connected to the water pickup tube and sits in the small round opening on the pump housing?

foodfisher

Captain

The pump pushes water so you won't feel any suck.edit: Thus the reason you need a deep "bucket" or lots of pressure on the muffs.

67-starcraft

Recruit

Ok, so I was using muffs and a tub of water before, but thought maybe it wasnt' deep enough. I got a 50 gallon drum and used so water level was same as if in a lake. It spit and sputtered water that way out of the pee hole, but was also getting exhaust and exhaust smoke out of the pee hole. Is this normal?

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Are you sure you connected the water tube properly?

67-starcraft

Recruit

Well when I dropped the lower unit it had a rubber sleeve connector that attached to the top of water pump and then to pickup tube. I put it back on the way it was...only one way. The only thing I did notice is that it wasn't a tight fit, but I thought it was supposed to be that way. Is there any sealer or anything that is supposed to go on it at reassembly?

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Well when I dropped the lower unit it had a rubber sleeve connector that attached to the top of water pump and then to pickup tube. I put it back on the way it was...only one way. The only thing I did notice is that it wasn't a tight fit, but I thought it was supposed to be that way. Is there any sealer or anything that is supposed to go on it at reassembly?
Should be tight. You may have a blockage in the cooling system. Run your garden hose if you can through the intake up to the motor to see if a flow through "pee hole". Go buy a clamp and tighten up securely around the hose to flush out debris. Secure the pipe and hose. Start the water slow because there is another rubber sleeve above inside the shaft that may come out.