surge brake bleeding

jaedwards797

Recruit
I have a 1996 RangerTrail trailer single axle with disk brakes. I would like to know how to flush and bleed the brakes.

rickryder

Commander
Re: surge brake bleeding

Two person operation.... one guy pumping the master at the ball hitch and the other at the bleeder screws....... pump it up.....hold pressure.....open bleeder.... wait till fluid stops....close bleeder....repeat.... add brake fluid as needed...

Bondo

Staff member

Two person operation.... one guy pumping the master at the ball hitch and the other at the bleeder screws....... pump it up.....hold pressure.....open bleeder.... wait till fluid stops....close bleeder....repeat.... add brake fluid as needed...

Ayuh,.... Agreed,... A 2x4, 'n the safety chains make a pretty good pumpin' tool...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I made a vacuum bleeder with a section of hose, a 2.5 gallon bucket with lid, and my shop vac. took the bucket, put about a 2" hole in the center of the lid, and a 1/2" hole near the edge of the lid. using 6' of 1/4" line, put 2' in the bucket thru the small hole, hooked the other end up to the brake bleeder. put the shop vac hose just in the lid. do it yourself vac-bleeder for under $5. just fill the reservoir, crack the bleeder. keep the reservoir topped off, close bleeder, move to other side and repeat.

sjohnson44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

http://www.speedbleeder.com/

One man job ;)
Local parts shops have them.

If its a Titan 60 coupler, right behind the latch there is a shaft with a nut on the end of it. Use a screw driver to pry that rod back and it will actuate the master cylinder. Other wise as others said, 2x4 and chains.

Friscoboater showed in one of his latest videos a good idea on how to bleed them as well, but it only works for his type of actuators I think.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I use a Motive power bleeder for my cars. I am sure you can adapt something to most trailers if you don't want to do the 2 man method.

Al Kungel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Necessity is the "MOTHER" of all inventions.

Ayuh,.... Agreed,... A 2x4, 'n the safety chains make a pretty good pumpin' tool...

I just refined this a little bit more. Parked the trailer so that the tongue was within about a foot of the gate, with the coupler fully pulled forward I fastened the top end of the 2x4 to the top of the gate and also fastened the coupler to the 2x4. I then tied a long rope to the gate and took the other end to the the brake that I wanted to bleed. Pull on the rope and start bleeding. Then go back and open the gate and on and on. Yes, it would have been better with 2 people, but there was no one else around to help.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Being the cheap skate that I am, bought a twelve dollar 1/2 gallon pump up sprayer from the hardware store. Took the old fill cap from the master cyl I just replaced and tapped a hose fitting into it and connected the sprayer hose to it. Poured a couple of bottles of brake fluid into the sprayer, covered it and pumped it up a bit. Pressure pushed brake fluid into master cyl, keeping it full, while I went wheel to wheel doing my bleeding as prescribed.

Took less than 30 minutes to bleed entirely new brake system (all new lines, new MC (MC was primed / bled before hand) and 4 new disc brake calipers) AND did it alone. Finished bleeding, released pressure in tank, disconnected and put on the new MC cap. Started consuming a few adult beverages to celebrate getting it done so easily, quickly and by myself.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

There are many variations of one manm methods and they are all great as long as they do the job. Done it that way on several occasions and have got the job done. I do however much prefer it to be a 2 man operation and actually watch the last blast of air in the system bubble through myself.
Just gives me a warmer and fuzzier feeling.:D
But any way is good as long as it works.:)

oldjeep

Admiral

dockwrecker

Lieutenant

I have no idea why anyone would screw around prying on master cylinders when a pressure bleeder can be made for $20 that is 10 times easier and much more efficient. I can bleed my brakes in 10 minutes with a beer in one hand...

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Lately I've gone away from using my power bleedr and went back to the two man manual method. I have two sons to teach and with the clunkers they drive it's only a matter of time until they need to bleed brakes safely.
Remember, always bleed the farthest cylinder/caliper 1st then so on.

Al Kungel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I bought a Pneumatic Bleeder from Harbor Freight to bleed the brakes, but it did not work very well. So I used my "Redneck" method and it worked. :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Well I bought a Pneumatic Bleeder from Harbor Freight to bleed the brakes, but it did not work very well. So I used my "Redneck" method and it worked. :)
Those harbor freight suction brake bleeders are pretty worthless. I know becuase I bought one once and only use it change fluids in power steering pumps and the like.