Options for painting the hull on this Lund Tyee...

FishNotWork

Seaman Apprentice
I'm considering a purchase of an older Lund Tyee boat from 1983. The boat is showing its age, but the owners have done a good job keeping it clean and unlike most of the newer boats I've looked at - this one seems sturdy and clean and if I can get it for about $3K I'll probably buy it. The boat is 16ft long and it's aluminum.

From the photos, the inside looks ok and I can live with it, but it's well aged on the outside, and the hull is really faded. I'm pretty handy with cars and around the house and wouldn't be afraid to trying to repaint this hull. Is this something that a mere mortal could tackle in his garage? I would just want to paint he sides (above water level) and not worry about the bottom.

The finish don't have to be that of a Stratavarius - it just needs a face lift to look more presentable. Can someone point me to some basic boat painting links or if possible, describe major steps: scrub, clean, tape, prime, paint, paint again, dry, install decals, clear coat, clear coat again - something like that?

What am I getting into? How long, how much do do a 'decent' job on it.

Thanks,
James

Tyee_83.jpg Tyee_83_2.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Options for painting the hull on this Lund Tyee...

Ayuh,... Movin' to the dry-dock....

Btw,... think Rustoeum...

FishNotWork

Seaman Apprentice

Dry dock? I don't plan on painting underneath. Just the sides (currently off white/cream color on the gunwales only). Why would dry dock be required for that?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The Dry Dock is where all of us Paint freaks are!!!!!:D Check the link at the bottom of my signature below. It has lots of good info for your paint needs.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

No worrys- 'Dry Dock' the boat restoration sub-forum.
The key to any good paint job is PREPARATION.
It's not terribly difficult but you need to learn as much as possible to get 'edumacated' about the process.

I painted this 14' Jon with a 2 part paint, a foam roller, and brush. Turned out great. It was green from the factory. The bottom is STILL green......
1008001.jpg

FishNotWork

Seaman Apprentice

No worrys- 'Dry Dock' the boat restoration sub-forum.
Ah... sorry, should have caught on to the 'lingo'. Got it. BTW - the boat looks great. I read some of the posts from WoodOnGlass (starting with post 238 in the last link he has in his sig). Looks like I'll need to spend some time learning about the prep. What's my best source for that?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Post #238 has the prep info. Basically for aluminum you need to make sure any previous paint is "Stuck" well. Sand off any that isn't using 80 grit and then feather the edgees with 180 grit. Then give her an "Acid Wash" bath. White vinegar and Water 50/50 mix is a good solution for this. Scrub her well. Rinse well with Warm Soapy water and dry. All Bare aluminum must be primed with Self Etching primer. You only need a "Light Dusting". It does not need to be a full cover coat. Lightly buff with a 3m scotch brite pad then Spray or Roll a coat of Primer on the entire boat. Go over the old paint. Everything that you want to paint with the new paint should be primered. Let it dry then buff again with the 3m pad and then apply another coat of primer. A final buff with the pad and wipe down with acetone and you're ready for your first coat of Color. The forumula for the paint is in the link.

FishNotWork

Seaman Apprentice

The forumula for the paint is in the link.

What paint do you recommend - is that Tractor and Implement paint a good paint for the sides of the boat that I'm needing? Any other kind that's good reliable marine paint with wide color scale?

Also, can this Valspar in you link be rolled on? I thought I only saw instructions for rolling on the Primer but the paint section only had a paragraph about spraying it....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Vaslpar Tracto paint is Acrylic Enamel Oil Based Paint. It is what I recommend. I painted my boat with it and several others here on the forum have used it with great success. You should go back to the link a read it again. The Roll n' Roll technique is dicussed in detail as well as the spray technique. The only difference between Glass and Tin is the initial prep. Once you are ready for primer it's basicall the same for either glass or tin. Doesn't matter if you're rolling or Spraying. It's all explained in the link

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Do you Need to roll ? or are you up to spraying ?

What is your price range.. do you want/need the Less expensive Paint .. or are you willing to spend a few hundred on Marine Paint.

Just to kinda give you an idea .. Recently I was given a f250 van for the 'yard use' to paint for our colors in the marina.

I scuffed/spot primed with epoxy primer and painted it in 3 days. ( Not full days but in between my daily work load ).

As I recall it was spare left over Awlcraft2000. ( basically Imron )

Its not hard when dealing with Paint over Paint ;) ..

Start with what you want to paint it with..then work backwards to your primer ( if needed ). This will determine What you need to do for prep.

YD.