Painting my boat , what am i doing wrong ?

icemun

Cadet
:mad: Im gelcoating/ painting my boat but so far it looks terrible ? from far away it doesnt look bad but up close it looks like it was applied with a roller when i actually used HLVP spray guns and compressor. i thought it would look smooth and silky like from the factory. Im using gelcoat and adding the hardener as directed (using 3 teaspoons per quart).the primer or actually gray something they sold me looks better than the gelcoat. It looks like your interior wall of your house if get up close and look. really , really small bumps. I sanded it well actually i sanded more than i needed to. everything was going well up till today when i began to apply the gel coat..... any ideas what i am doing wrong or suggestions ? Maybe it will look good once it dries and cures and if i apply a second coat ? I dont know , i need help !!!!!!:mad::facepalm::confused:

arks

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Painting my boat , what am i doing wrong ?

So is it gelcoat or paint? They're two completely different animals.
Please post the exact name of the products you used so we can help.

If it's a primer and a 2 part paint, it could be that the primer isn't compatable with the finish, a contaminated air supply, the gun isn't set properly, overthinning, or spraying too heavy.
Any of these conditions could prevent the product from 'flowing out' to a smooth finish.

One other thing, it HVLP.....

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... 'n if it is gelcoat,.... Ya, that's pretty much how it works....

Ya keep sprayin' it on, to build depth, then sand it Smooth....

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yep ^^^ Bondo is correct. If it is Gelcoat your work has just started. It goes on like cottage cheese then you have to sand her smooth then buff and polish. Whole different animal than paint. Give us some Brand Names and some pics and I'm sure we'll be able to help sort it out for you.

icemun

Cadet

It is definitely gel coat bought from Fibre Glast with a MEKP hardener i have a styrene thinner but was told by the salesman i wouldnt need it but i bought some anyway to clean sprayguns with.I havent put any thinner in the gel coat .
The cottage cheese look is about right just not as thick. so i guess maybe i am doing it right , i just thought my sanding days were over...guess i will just keep applying.
one other problem tho..... my guns are all clogged up now im soaking them in a laquer thinner and styrene thinner combined in a bucket over night but im not sure thats gonna get them un clogged... any suggestions on that ?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If the gelcoat "Gelled" in the gun before you got the solvent thru it then they're pretty much toast. You MIGHT be able to take them totally apart and bring them back but a lot of work. What tip size were you using on the gun? You should be using a minimum of 2.5 mm. It will start to gell in 15 mins or so. You HAVE to stop and clean the gun at that time or you will have problems. HVLP Gravity feed guns are NOT good guns to use to shoot gelcoat unless its for small repairs. This gelcoat you're shooting does not have wax in it does it? You need to have wax or a mold realease agent to spray on the final coat to allow it to cure properly.