Alpha 1 Gen 2 Growl/Vibration Noise

peteua636

Seaman
Hello.<br /><br />Having difficult time troubleshooting a noise. I heard it when I came in from the lake and had the boat in neutral at the dock. I rev'd the motor to clear it out and around 1800 rpm i heard a growl. I idled back up to 1800 rpm slowly and noted the noise drive trimmed down and when trimmed up (not trailer position) - the noise got louder. When I idle below this point and trim up and down no noise! I have had the gimbals changed pre-season and also the u-joints last season. The merc dealer checked the alignment and I double checked it. I have lubed items all myself pre-season. I have also checked the trim limit and it is in spec with the merc manual. Any ideas???<br /><br />Thanks<br />Pete

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Alpha 1 Gen 2 Growl/Vibration Noise

Sounds like either bad ujoint or gimbal bearing.<br />Time to pull the drive and have a look. Bet you find water in the ujoint bellows.

peteua636

Seaman

Don...<br />Is it normal for a gimbal going to act like this? Quiet at low rpm noisey at a higher rpm?

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer

Quote "Was that a grumbling noise you heard?<br />Did it get louder when you turned the wheel or trimmed up? Gimbal bearings run under severe stress and can fail. A bad gimbal bearing can crack your $3000 transom housing. Just a little water in the U-Joint bellows area and your gimbal<br />bearing and u-joints will be toast. Usually the boat owner will suspect a gimbal bearing problem only after they have heard a "growling" noise from the transom or drive area. The growl will be more pronounced when the steering wheel is fully turned to one side or the other. Once this noise is heard immediate action must be taken to prevent further damage. Gimbal bearings usually don't just fail on their own. Water intrusion into the ujoint bellows or lack of lubrication are the two main causes of failure. By the time the boat owner hears the growling noise, water has been entering the bellows for quite some <br />time. This water intrusion is also rusting the u-joint shaft assembly and from drive seal casing.This water will eventually destroy the outdrive and the gimbal housing. A complete inspection will require removal of the outdrive unit." Unquote.