Help with 67 v4 speedifour sportfour carb

a70eliminator

Captain
Hi, I've been working on my 67 speedifour, had a disappointing day on the water, engine has always purred and idled well.
It had no trouble the first half of the day, then she started running rough to the point of having to anchor and pull the hood, I cleaned the points with a piece of emery that I had in box and got it started and limped back to the ramps where she it again was a handfull to keep running.
Fast forward a week and I have now installed new ignition points, cleaned the plugs, and have pulled the carb off and apart 3 times and even tried a different float in case the old one was saturated.
Running the motor on the hose, can't seem to get the right side idle/air screw to respond, I can screw it in till seated and the motor continues to run, the left side responds normal, the engine will sputter and even stall out if I screw it in past about 1-1/4 turns from seat, but the right side has no effect.
I pulled the carb apart like 3 times and micro inspected and cleaned it thouroghly, I just can't seem to put my finger on where my problem lies, I made sure the intake manifold bolts had not loosened up and just put a little snug on each one. It seems like I have a leak somewhere but don't know where, any help would be great, I do have the manual but it's not helping much on troubleshooting.
I'm almost positive the problem lies with that right side idle screw not doing its thing, the needle is nice and undamaged, i think it's somewhere beyond, I also think this is the reason for the excessive richness and rough unrelyable idle.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help with 67 v4 speedifour sportfour carb

Did you have the core plugs out of the carb ??

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Do you have good spark on all four cylinders? Yes, new points often have to be cleaned, due to an invisible film on them. And are you sure they both are set to .020"?

I mention this because one of the slow speed needles feeds two cylinders. Guess what? One set of points feeds two cylinders also. Carburetor problems usually..............aren't.

a70eliminator

Captain

Do you have good spark on all four cylinders? Yes, new points often have to be cleaned, due to an invisible film on them. And are you sure they both are set to .020"?

I mention this because one of the slow speed needles feeds two cylinders. Guess what? One set of points feeds two cylinders also. Carburetor problems usually..............aren't.

That was the trouble points were not firing, now wonder the screw for 2-4 didn't respond lol!
Thanks/ live and learn, I cleaned the (NOS) points with electro contact cleaner after scratching the petrified grease off them, but that evidently wasn't enough, turns out I still had to use some fine emery to remove that 60yr old patina.
at least my carb is sparkly clean again, and no I didn't pull the welch plugs, should I?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

No, not unless you have an idle problem. Yes, they do get trash in them, usually old needle packing material. But in more cases than not, they are perfectly fine.