Prop advice for Johnson 50 HP OB

weekendfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys,
Just after some advice on a new prop for my 50 HP Johnson ... The old one still works well but it has had a few chunks taken out of it so i want to replace it.
The Prop on my 55HP seems significantly bigger than the factory one on the 50 so i am not sure if getting the same one would be a good idea, and this time i would prefer to go for a Stainless over the alloy one i have.

It will be puching a 16FT fibreglass half cab.
I have put pics of the boat and 50 HP that the new prop will be for and a shot of the Alloy prop on my 55hp.

Attachments

• IMAG0618.jpg
    IMAG0618.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0622.jpg
    IMAG0622.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMAG0590.jpg
    IMAG0590.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 0

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Prop advice for Johnson 50 HP OB

If your 55 is a 2 cylinder it is likely the same prop though the pitch may not be right.
The best way to get a new prop and possibly fine tune your performance is to get your prop fixed and do some test runs and get us the info needed in "read this first" at the top of the page.
If you just want to go new the prop size is probably under the prop nut or near the base of the blades.

weekendfisher

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Prop advice for Johnson 50 HP OB

Hey,
Yeah they are both 2 cylinder, both engines performed well with the fitted props so i never gave to much thought to the 55 one being to big but the blades are quite a bit larger than the 50's stock one.
I will primarily be using my boat for fishing trips pleasure and the occasional towing of tubes etc so holeshot speed is not to important to me.
Cheers