Gimbal disassembly

Sangster21

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to disassemble the gimbal ring and housing. I have looked at the manual and am still a bit fuddled. I think procedure is to remove limit switch, remove allen head screw on gimbal ring. I have torched it and still no luck removing it. Perhaps an impact would shock it free... of course it may just go snap. Then remove lower swivel shaft cotter pin and shaft. So far a bear of a time moving the cotter pin as far as it has gone. Then the instructions call for using a slide hammer to remove pin from the bottom. I see a slot not a threaded hole.... how to use the slide hammer here? Then it appears you are to use some kind of a threaded rod puller to remove upper splined shaft from housing. I wanted to pull it apart to paint and inspect.... perhaps this is foolish and I should STOP now before I bust the whole works. What are the chances of pulling it apart and not buggering it all up? The steering arm seemed tight side to side, a bit wobbly up and down on the shaft. Should I leave well enough alone and paint and reassemble?
Alan

Attachments

• mercruiser transom gimbal 004 (640x480).jpg
    mercruiser transom gimbal 004 (640x480).jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0
  • mercruiser transom gimbal 005 (640x480).jpg
    mercruiser transom gimbal 005 (640x480).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 0
  • mercruiser transom gimbal 006 (640x480).jpg
    mercruiser transom gimbal 006 (640x480).jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 0