2007 Waverunner VX 1100

RandyJ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Without a computer cable and software program ... is there any way to check this thing out? 4 cylce, fuel injected... I can't even decently get to the spark plugs to check for firing. I don't see a way to check for fuel pump pressure or anything of the sort.. .not even to see if it's getting fuel. The best I've been able to do is to disconnect the kill switch. It simply does not start. Cranks over nicely though. It was hard to start last year. I would take it to a dealer but all I learn when I do things like that is how to use a credit card....HELP! I need to get this thing started and running and needs to be easy to start. I'm so confused that I feel like I don't even know where to start.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2007 Waverunner VX 1100

On that ski its almost always one of these:
1. Bad plugs.....the small plugs on this ski foul very easily, especially after the ski has been winterized. Bad plugs are the problem 95% of the time on this model.
2. Over filled oil......very common problem and will back up on air filter and foul plugs. Oil on this ski must be checked only when the ski is HOT....never cold.
3. Clogged fuel injectors......happens if the ski was not winterized properly then sits.
4. Loose or corroded ground, or other electrical cable.

My recommendation would be change the plugs first. Check all wiring connections especially at the battery and Ebox. Charge the battery or swap out a different one. If battery is not fully charged the ski will turn over but not start. The throttle has to be in closed position for the ski to start. Check that there is nothing holding the throttle open even slightly. If you try this and still no start, pull a plug insert into the ignition coil and check for spark. If you are getting spark, most likely problem is clogged fuel injectors. You can try to clear them yourself, but best bet would be to have them professionally cleaned.

RandyJ

Thanks. I did pull the plugs last week when I first started working on projects. They look perfectly fine, no oil , not black, just a little tan. The sun was too bright to really check out firing but at first I saw an yellow/orange spark... not good white/blue. After tinkering with it a bit I didn't get spark at all but the battery was getting weak so I figured it may not be turning over fast enough to spark. It has been dunked before but everything "looks" factory new... as if that really means anything. Just to see if I could get anything happening I squirted a little starting fluid in the intake connector and didn't even get a poot out of it. I'll check throttle position and while it's dark I may try the spark test again... really a PITA to get plugs out. Not like working on a lawn mower by any means.... I do know that something's happening that's not kewl since it has been difficult to start in the past. This guy has another one just like it and it starts when you bump the button. I'm kind of betting on a fuel issue but with no way to really check fuel pressure that makes it difficult. I haven't pulled the injectors yet so don't know what they look like or if there is a problem there... not sure how to find out either... but I do have what I need to clean them properly (sonic cleaner and mean green and a 9 volt battery)

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'd make sure you are getting spark before you mess with the injectors. I've see a few of these with bad ignition coils. In one case there were 2 bad coils on the same ski. They are pretty easy to check. I'll look at a manual and post the numbers.

Here is is:

Ignition Coil Test_0000.jpg

RandyJ

I just checked spark in the dark... one plug is all that is sparking... and it sparks on every wire.. and it's one of the dirtier looking plugs!
But still... it ought to at least poot a little..

RandyJ

I'd make sure you are getting spark before you mess with the injectors. I've see a few of these with bad ignition coils. In one case there were 2 bad coils on the same ski. They are pretty easy to check. I'll look at a manual and post the numbers.

Here is is:

View attachment 137786

Thanks bunches! I'm waaay out in the boonies so probably will order a box of new plugs... I'll have them Tuesday. Excellent service from my distributor. I should know all this stuff since I recently went to a CDI school. Today I downloaded a $5 online factory service manual but kinda hard to decipher the techno speak.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, these small plugs will foul, and still look OK. Its THE most common problem on these skis. I'll bet new plugs will sort it. Post back if that fixes it or not. I'd put some anti-seize on the threads and don't over torque them.........I found out the hard way that they break easily.

If I'd been thinking, I would have given you this link to the manual. Could have saved you a few $$. Anyhow here it is if you want it: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sg=AFQjCNGBN4nssfTs6OsngonYkhtoK1LoSQ&cad=rja

RandyJ

Thanks for the link... downloading now. It was worth the $5 to see the stuff I was looking for. This is kind of a learning experience for me and I may make a few $$$ off of it. Just trying to get some experience and good notoriety for being a shade tree mechanic. I knew there is a serious difference in resistor plugs. I checked these with ohm meter... Significant difference. The only good one has around 300k ohm between nut and electrode. The other 3 have 0-50k ohms. Even after I ran them through the ultrasonic cleaner twice and air dried them the other 3 did not clear up and want to fire. I'm kinda betting this will fix the problem but I think a minimum of some injector cleaner will make a huge difference. The guy bought his lake house with the 2 waverunners as part of the deal and I'm sure they sat a season or two before the house sold. I've been working on my son's van... it sat for 2 years ... just sitting caused problems with junk holding valves open and a bad injector... (machine shop $330, head set $160, new head bolts $75)... just because my son wouldn't crank it up occasionally. I'm sure it's going to be 2 days working putting it back together.. fun fun fun!

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea once you get that VX running, you will have to work to kill it. Letting them sit around causes way more problems than running the crap out of them.

Good luck on the ski and the van.

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine started running badly at the beginning of the season last year and then wouldn't fire at all. Pulled the plugs and they didn't look like they were in all that bad of shape, looked pretty good actually. No fouling etc. I did notice spark trails in the plug boots though so I'm pretty sure I had spark leaks in all four boots. Cleaned the boots put some elec.gel in them & a new set of plugs in and it fired on the first crank, ran great the whole summer. Not sure if fogging them in the winter prep is helpful. I didn't fog it this year but that's my call, its not a recommendation.

RandyJ

Yep. This was the first time I used an ohm meter to check plugs. Good trick and finding one that had fire I was able to check all the plug wires to eliminate the ignition system as the problem. I've dealt with resistor plugs on vehicles in the past but just swapped out plugs without verifying that they were the problem. Now I know it's an easy way to get diagnostic information. The good one is usable for baseline data.
As for fogging engines... I can see the benefit on 4 cycle engines as far as protecting rings & cylinder walls... but on any engine there should be enough oil left to leave a little coating. It may make a difference but I've never fogged an engine and never had those kinds of problems. However, where the boat is parked can have a lot to do with whether there is a benefit or not. Every engine I've torn into that was left covered had clean walls and oily pistons & rings. I've torn into some that were left out without a cover which had some very dry cylinders and maybe a little gook on the pistons. I do know that it's a PITA to go out and crank a boat for the new year and all the plugs are fouled. Some are a real bugger to get to. If you don't know your boat engine that well I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.