Temperature sensor

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I have a 1962 Evinrude 40 Horse Power Lark outboard. Just bought it last year and it seems to be running fine afterI had it tuned up and had the coils replaced. QUESTION: I want to check the temperature sensor on the motor, but I do not even know where to look for it. Is it a diaphram type switch mounted to to side of the engine with a black and a white wire on it?? Any help anyone can give me is really appreciated. You can e-mail me if you want to: iggsterw1@yahoo.com
I just joined this forum and I am not really sure how to find out on here if someone replied to me or not, so e-mail might be the way to go for me. thanks soooooo much! IGGY

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: Temperature sensor

To find the temp sensor, look at your shoulder, now follow down your arm to the tips of your fingers. Place these on the head while running. If you cannot hold them on for a 1, 2, 3 count she is too hot. Another test is to drip a handful of water on the head, away from plugs. Does it sizzle? Too hot. Run off or just puddle? You are ok.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Leave the diaphram switch alone, it's there for a different function. The best way to check the mtr temp is to get a cheap infared temp gun at harbor freight and test it when running at WOT and then Idle.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer

Leave the diaphram switch alone, it's there for a different function. The best way to check the mtr temp is to get a cheap infared temp gun at harbor freight and test it when running at WOT and then Idle.

Thanks for the advice on how to check the head temp to see if it is too hot. I will buy one of the infared guns at Harbor freight. I was just trying to find the existing temp sensor to see if it is working. I have an idiot light on the dashboard of the boat that is suppose to light up IF the engine gets hot, and I really would like to test it out (without over heating the engine of course) to see if the warning system is working. Any ideas on how to do this??

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Should have just used the direct approach instead of humorous. :)

Your motor does not have a temp sensor, which is why we offered the options for testing.