1979 5.0 (305) guts swap or ?

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i have a 79 5.0 mercruiser does anyone know of a REASONABLE place to get a engine kit or would it be possible to use guts from low low hour 5.0 with cracked block !!the one in boat has under 500 hrs -- i was able to get my hands on a very low hour (under 200) block with cam in it -- lifters do not even have a mark on faces !!!! merc tag on motor 5945816

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1979 5.0 (305) guts swap or ?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,....

There more to engine buildin', than throwin' together a bunch of parts from various different motors....

The 1 with the cracked block is an anchor....
A Runnin' motor will be Cheaper, in the long run, I believe...

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

maybe i should of been more specific -- cracked block has been repaired with J-B WELD but i want to switch blocks just for piece of mind thing !!! i know the cracked block is an anchor - one with crack runs like new and DOES NOT LEAK has less than 500 hours on it - can i use guts from cracked block and put into good block ? i would assume i can -- or does anyone know of a REASONABLE place to get a rebuild kit thanks

Last edited:

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm no expert on marine engines, however I was a mechanic for many years working on everything from small 4cyl gas engines to large diesels. My advice is not to reuse parts like main and rod bearings, and rings. If you need to swap pistons, connecting rods or a cam or crank shaft, thats ok. As far as a reasonable place to buy a rebuild kit, I'm not much help in that department. Good luck, hope you get her sorted out.

osborne looney

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes i will use new bearings and rings i all ready planned on this thanks for the info