Engine swap ?

Briandale92

Cadet
I have a four winns horizon 170 with a 3.0l mercruiser and the engine is gone bad on it. I found a 5.0l mercruiser with the outdrive for cheap but it has been rebuilt. Can the 5.0 fit in my boat? Mount right and all? Or should I keep looking for a 3.0?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Engine swap ?

To much missing information to answer, have you measured to see if the engine will fit under the engine cover? Is there stringers for the V8 engine mounts? Does the engine also include the outdrive? The 3.0L has the wrong gear ratio for a V8.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

One thing to consider is that the 5.0 will be about 350 pounds heavier than the 3.0. That might make a significant difference in a 17 foot boat.

TilliamWe

Banned

Brian, I doubt it will fit easily, if "at all". Your 17 foot boat almost assuredly was NOT offered with a V-8 option. So therefore, you probably won't have the right mounting locations in the stringers. remember, your 3.0 uses a single mount in the front. All the V engines use two side mounts, attached to the stringers.

Also, you don't mention what year your 3.0 is, and what year the 5.0 with outdrive is. Alpha One Gen 2s came out in 1991ish. And they won't fit on the older Alpha One Transom plate/gimbal housing stuff.

As Don said, need more info.

But I am going to guess it's going to be difficult at best to swap them.