Timing Questions - Johnson 50 2-Stroke

Sureshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey all, I'm wrapping up a rebuild of my 2000 50 HP 2-Stroke johnson. I've completed the link-and-sync per the manual but wanted to give Joe Reeves timing method a go since I don't have proper test wheels and tanks, etc. I have a few questions about the procedure.

1) What's the preferred way to ground out the #2 plug? Push it up against a head bolt or run a wire via alligator clips from the boot to the block?

2) 1st time using a timing light. While I'm cranking the engine, do I simply point the light at this timing mark next to my flywheel (see picture below, tried to circle the mark in red)? And the strobe light highlights the number the timing is currently set to?

Flywheel.jpg

Thanks as always.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Timing Questions - Johnson 50 2-Stroke

You should reread Joe's procedures in Top Secret Files. You have to use an open air gap spark tester set to 7/16 " on # 1 to get the timing light to work. You don't ground out the plug.

Sureshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah spark tester on #1 but I saw a post Joe made and he indicated you should ground out the other plugs:

It's a good idea to ground the other plug wires to avoid sparks that could ignite fuel that may shoot out of the plug holes. I've personally never grounded them out and have never encountered a problem (fire) but it could happen.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Yes, defineatly ground out the other plug and keep your spark tester away from # 1 plug hole.

Sureshot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

And as far as using a timing light, you just point the light at the marker I highlighted in the picture above and as the number marks on the flywheel spin past the timing light illuminates the current timing number?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

That is correct.