New to the site and a johnson 150 question....

silkstringz

Cadet
I just bought a 97' Javelin 389se with a Johnson faststrike 150. The boat didnt come with a jackplate and it has a danged ol 4 blade prop. Im wanting to buy a jackplate and probably some sort of raker prop. I know there are alot of tech guys on here so I was wondering how much setback should I go for and where would you start as far as propellers and pitch and such as well as the highth of the motor and what not.......Im going for bow lift and top end speed. thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: New to the site and a johnson 150 question....

Welcome,
I'm sure someone will have some suggestions for your setup; in the mean time it wouldn't hurt to get some test runs
with the "danged ol 4 blade" as a reference point and an indication how well your setup works.
Get us as much info as possible in "read this first" at the top of the page.

SparkieBoat

Captain

I would get a 6 or 8" jack plate. and as Steel mentioned we would need WOT RPM data and current prop to be able to recommend a prop. you need to get the jack plate installed first, and raise the motor as high as you can and still pick up water and not blow out in the turns, and this will probably change what prop you will need.

silkstringz

Cadet

I would get a 6 or 8" jack plate. and as Steel mentioned we would need WOT RPM data and current prop to be able to recommend a prop. you need to get the jack plate installed first, and raise the motor as high as you can and still pick up water and not blow out in the turns, and this will probably change what prop you will need.

Is there a chance that a jack plate would hurt my performance? I dont know much about them or how hard they are to adjust. Right now the prop is a 4 blade renegade, 25 pitch. Im a big guy like 6'7" 330 and with me and nothing else it runs around 62-63 at about 5800 rpm. Thats not bad but it seems like Im not getting much bow lift? I use to have a fast strike on another boat and Im almost certain it had a 24 pitch raker and somewhere between a 6-10 inch jack plate. It was slightly shorter but the weight is relatively the same. That boat would flirt with 70mph....can I get more out of this boat?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I can only speak in generalities Someone should be along with more specific suggestions.
You wouldn't be expected to get the best speed with a 4 blade.They are expected to improve low and mid range performance
Not noted for bow lift.The 4 blade may allow more height and if you have no venting problems you can probably
increase the height. Could be a no cost improvement if you do it yourself.See what you get with the 4bld. then consider a raker.
A raker could very well improve performance its difficult to estimate actual numbers.