My idea, and a couple questions

joekacker

Cadet
Hey. Ive been interested in building a person pontoon boat for some time now. Im finally going to get after it. Heres my plan, Id love to have any input

Im starting with 5, 4 x 8, 2 inch thick insulation foam (the pink or blue stuff) from hardware store cutting directly in half. With the two sections I want to glue two 8 inch 1/4 inch strips of plywood ever other stack in the edges for strength.. glue and press together. now I will have to two 2x8 logs. In the center of the each block. Im going to carve out a spot for a 2x4 to run and attach my lags for the frame connection. im going to add fiberglass mesh in this channel or a heavy glue. for locking it in. I am going to be fiberglassing the whole thing at the end.

Heres a few of my questions.

Will this foam work? bouyant enough? How much weight could this hold?What shape should I use on the front of the pontoon? I was thinking 30 degree on each end, sort of similar to a jon boat and easy to carve out. Or do I go for the pointy coneish style? Id like best hydrodynamics or whatever its called lol. so I can power it easy with electric motor.

Thanks

joekacker

Cadet
Re: My idea, and a couple questions

you kidding right. sorry my boat is a lot better than that redneck, thanks for sharing.