Recoat times? Darn rain.. need expert info

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok guys, beings I work with industrial epoxies for a job, I hear of overcoat windows all the time, but what about with my set up? (Rain coming sat. and sunday)I just put on my first coat, finally, of 6149 pettit undercoater, which can be coated after four hours in 70 degree weather. I plan on recoating that tomorrow morning after the humidity lifts. Leading to my first question, is there a time limit on how long I can wait to coat over top of my second coat of primer.

Second question, Im using the alkyd paint (16 hours till it can be recoated) with vaspar hardner... Id imagine 16 is cut in half with the hardner (2 oz. per quart) in this equation... but the question, is there a time limit I have to coat over my first top coat using this hardner? Many of the resins we use have a 48 or 72 hour coat window until it has to be re-primed, how bout my alkyd/hardner coat?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Recoat times? Darn rain.. need expert info

8 hours on the Valspar with Hardener @ 70?. I'd recommend only mixing 2 cups and 1oz of hardener. Reason.. Paint with hardener goes bad after 8 hours. Just in case you can't get the second coat on in 8hrs you won't lose the paint.

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will do, i plan on spraying top coat much thinner than the primer and doing four coats so mixing halfs seems practical. Im still worried whether there is an overcoat window

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I used the Pettit Undercoater and Shot My first Color Coat 8 hrs after. You'll be fine.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

A rule I was taught and seems to work for all the paints/epoxies I've ever used is: Recoat when you can touch and leave a finger print but no paint comes off on your finger. If you touch it and it doesn't leave a print, wait 72 hours, scuff sand and try again. Not sure if this is going to apply to your paint or not but it worked for me.

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea, im gonna be in that 72 hour window (friday night to mon noon rain ) looks like im gonna have to sand one of my topcoats because of the rain, I really didnt want to but with the hardner its likely to be too long in betwen coats to get the necessary adherence

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

A light scuff with a scotch brite pad and wipe down with acetone will have you ready for your next color coat.

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just read your posts woodonglass, and saw between your 2nd and third coat took 4 days in much hotter weather, sounds easy, and thanks for the advice guys. Im just glad I dont have to reprime, and light scuffing sounds easier than sanding

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That's true but I did not wait because I HAD to. Life got in the way and caused the delay. I could and would have put the final coat on the next day if I could have.

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea I figured that was the case, I too would love to paint a coat or two a day but unfortunately I will not be able to