Died under load and won't restart - V6 with alpha 2

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First time on the lake this year, and the boat started up great. Had a full tank of gas at the end of last season, and added fuel stabilizer to the tank at that time. Took it out last week, idled great and started on first try. When I got to the end of the cove and hit the gas, it sputtered out and died, and would never restart. Going on Sunday with tools to diagnose, but hoping for some insight or ideas. My guess is that I'll check for spark, then the fuel supply as I'm thinking maybe a fuel pump? Thanks for any advice

1993 Caravelle, 160 hours, V6 mercruiser

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Died under load and won't restart - V6 with alpha 2

First time on the lake this year, and the boat started up great. Had a full tank of gas at the end of last season, and added fuel stabilizer to the tank at that time. Took it out last week, idled great and started on first try. When I got to the end of the cove and hit the gas, it sputtered out and died, and would never restart. Going on Sunday with tools to diagnose, but hoping for some insight or ideas. My guess is that I'll check for spark, then the fuel supply as I'm thinking maybe a fuel pump? Thanks for any advice

1993 Caravelle, 160 hours, V6 mercruiser

Varnish. A boaters best friend.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

forgot to mention, the fuel filter looked clean, no sign of debris, and i do have a fuel pressure tester I'll be bringing. just turns over but never catches

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you have spark, squirt some gas in the carb and see if it will fire. Could be nothing more than a defective accelerator pump.

JWhit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well got a spark tester and on it, and got a little surprise when it started and ran at idle. Shut off, put in the water, and fired back up fine. Took it for a test drive and basically ran fine, only one time did it seem to want to stall out. Shut off and restarted a few times with no issue. At this point i have to assume some combination of bad gas and maybe got flooeded? Any other ideas or advice so I don't have to worry in the future?

It has a full tank so my plan may be to pump some out and fill with fresh or try to run it out this weekend. Thanks for all the help

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Cool to hear. Dont go too far from home quite yet! :D