Securing an outboard

scrit9mm

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 25R73 Johnson outboard. I have a brace that goes from the middle of the transom to the floor of the boat, and on the motor I have a handle on the front. I have threaded a chain through these so I can lift the motor and tighten the chain with a pad lock to lift the outdrive so it doesnt scrub on anything. What does everyone else do to secure their outboard to avoid easy theft? These motors are light enough to be carried by one person and I would like to deter any thoughts of a easy score.

bigriver79

Seaman
Re: Securing an outboard

I would bolt it on then tack-weld the threads. Make them use a grinder or torch to get it off.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It's a huge problem here, Kicker motors disappear off the back of boats all too frequently. Many of us weld the motor to the boat (aluminum boats), this at least slows them down. It has been reported that thieves have used sawsalls to cut the transoms off when motors are welded on though. These are newer 4 strokes, mostly Yamahas.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Use a locking OB bracket - it covers the transom clamps. Also, both the motor on using MacGuard bolts. Be sure your insurance is up to date because if they sawsall the transom you'll need it.