Which One of these boats would be the best choice For Wakeboarding & Tow Activities?

Seaman84

Seaman
Which One of these boats would be the best choice For Wakeboarding & Tow Activities?

Im Looking for a boat for my Family, My budget Is around 10-20k, I love to wakeboard, I found These Boats, That I am Able to purchase.
1st Sea ray 175 Sport, Wakeboard Tower, and 3.0L Mercruiser, 4 Blade stainless Steel - 13,000 $
2nd Sea Ray 185 Sport, Wakeboard Tower, 4.3 Mercruiser 50 hrs -18,000 $
2006 Gekko GTS 20, Wakeboard Tower, 5.7 Mercruiser V8, D-Drive, 100 hrs - 14,000 $
4th Is an exact Version Of the 2nd one, 11 hrs but for 23,000 $

Which One of these Boats Would give a Fairly Good wake For air, Which One Would be more Reliable & Affordable? Easy On Maitnance?
Im just looking for something good to have Fun Towing and Fun Wakeboarding, Too me the 1st choice Would be very Unpowered, But I have No Clue It seems Like a Good Buy? I need Help

bowler

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Which One of these boats would be the best choice For Wakeboarding & Tow Activiti

Re: Which One of these boats would be the best choice For Wakeboarding & Tow Activiti

Hello and welcome to iboats!

If your priority is towing and wakeboarding then the Gekko has to be the first choice. I do alot of wakeboarding with a maxum1750 w/3ltr merc and after a few years of use I CRAVE more power and space but sadly can't afford it! You won't regret the extra horses and space when the boat is full of people and gear.

If it's in good shape and you have the $$ then go and buy it!

Good luck,

D.

Dave.Mishchenko

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome to iboats.

I spent 3 years behind a Bayliner 175 with the 3 liter before upgrade to an Axis. With the right prop the 3.0 had no trouble pulling us up (even two kids at a time), but the boat would get pulled around when someone was cutting out and speed control was a challenge. We added a 700 lb fat sac and even with that the wake wasn't that great.

On your list the Gekko would seem to be the best option, but I have this review which would concern me -
What size wake do you expect from a boat this size? Exactly, very small. You can count on little to no spray and small, soft wakes from 15 off through the shortline, with only a slight bump at 22.
Essentially a good ski boat isn't a good wakeboard boat. You might want to take 6 x 200 lb people out in it for a test ride to see what that weight can do for the wake.

Any of the boats will be fine for towing, but if you want a good wake I would keep looking. Something mostlikely older, but capable of carrying more weight. The bigger the wake you want, the more you need to weigh the boat down.

pocket aces

Cadet

My suggestion would be to look at some mid 90's-2002 Direct drive ski boats. You might even get lucky and find a V-Drive in your price range. More power and a better wake I would think than any of the boats you mentioned.
Here is a good site http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?topic=Search&category=Comp_Boat
Where do you live? Check out your local Craigslist.
Good Luck!!

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You said reliability and affordability. With the DD Gekko you have not outdrive to maintain or to fail. Thus, you just got rid of one cumbersome and potentially expensive part of the boat.

Outdrive maintenance will has a learning curve and requires some additional tools. It is not rocket science, but you either need to spend time in the iboats mechanical forums, or become dependent on a dealer for help.

Why is the price so low on the Gekko? Has it been left out in the rain, or does it have like 1000 hours on it?

ThreeMileBayWaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

That gecko looks funky.... I regret buying my glastron.... V-drive all the way. Once I pay off my student loans and truck I'm going to trade up and find a gently used axis, Malibu, supra, nautique.

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The Gekko GTS 20 is a very small boat.
About right for three people: driver, spotter and rider/skier. Not what I would select for a "family boat."

Chaz7R

Seaman Apprentice

The Gekko is a dedicated tow boat. It is specific to watersports. The power to pull a skier or wakebaorder up with steady smooth power makes it easier to learn. The other boats are swiss army knife types of boats. Direct drive is the way to go. Gekko is a pretty good boat your not paying for the name like a mastercraft or nautique. The only problem is if you get 5 people on that baot its going to start to feel cramped. I have a Boomerang and I only like 4 people on the boat and 1 in the water at best. Power is awesome on these little direct drives and the handling is so much fun. If you can find one with an open bow tha would be perfect

gator041

Recruit

Yes a nice boat. But as previously stated, not much room for a family and its neccessary contents. Its nice for the kids to be able to utilize a rear bench seat to watch from or hang out in an open bow front. Is there a rear bench or no?

Good luck in your search!