1993 johnson vro

dingy10

Cadet
I just got my fist boat a javelin with a 1993 johnson vro 2 stroke. I have a few questions because i'm pretty much clueless with boats. When i picked up the boat my buddy knows alittle bit so i had him come with me. We had the owner start the engine and there was a steady stream of water. Which was good and also spun the prop for a few minutes making sure it ran right which it did. The previouse owner told me When he tryed to start the boat with the motor with it trimmed up some gas leaked out the carb. Is this alright? Is there anything else i should look for befor i go and take it out on the first test run?
I read about this vro system alittle bit and do you guys sapose i keep it or just mix oil manually. Any info on what to check on or lube or anything basically befor i take it out is appreciated im a new to all this thanks.

misery

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1993 johnson vro

Hey dingy10, welcome to iboats, and welcome to boating. The people here are great and will help you out as much as they can, but you have to help them help you. You say you just bought the boat, but you didn't tell us what size of motor. Has the boat set for along time? Did the PO mention any work he had done to the boat recently? As a general rule you should go over a few things before you splash a new to you boat. Things like the oil in the lower unit, the condition of the spark plugs and fuel filters Any and all electrical connections should be checked and cleaned as needed. Start the motor on muffs and see if any problems arise there. Check for overheating and any strange idling or missing. if there is a problem on the hose it will likely be magnified on the water and if its not right in the yard at least you won't have to paddle home.
As far as the vro system is concerned, that war is still raging. Did the PO have it hooked up? if you don't trust it search how to dielete it on this site and do it for your own peace of mind. Good luck.

dingy10

Cadet

Hey thanks for the suggestions And the motor is a 70 hp. The original owner had the boat for about a year and only took it out once on the way home when he bought it and left it out side with out a cover for pretty much the hole yr. He bought from a buddy who need some quick cash. He really didnt know much about it. And i confirmed this when i asked him if the seeats on the front n back of boat come off and he said no. Then while on the way home i stop by a gas station and the seats unscrewed out.
When i went to the ownes house he had it hooked up on muffs. It started right up when he turned it over there was a good amount of smoke which my buddy said was probably because of oil in the gas. It had a steady stream of water and everything seemed good. I checked the spark plugs and there alll good.
When i asked the owner what the mix for the gas n oil he said he didnt know because the vro was full of oil and he only took it out once so he never had to refill it. Inside the hood of the engine lookes as clean as can be. I really wouldnt mind keeping the vro if there is a warning system if it stops working but i do not know how to tell if it has the system and if its still good.
I googled gas leaking from carbs while motor is on tilt and From what i read it said this was normal. Was this info incorrect??
Thansk for the help and suggestions

misery

Petty Officer 3rd Class

If you put water in a glass and tip it on its side does some water come out? a small amount of fuel leakage when in the trailer position would be considered normal in my experience, but i will say that it is good advice to either go through the carbs yourself or pay someone to go through them for you if you are not sure of their condition. alot of good motors have come to untimely demises due to a tiny spec of dirt in an orfice.