Javilin compression question

Salfal

Cadet
I have just received a Javilin and am early into major tune-up procedures and wondering about acceptible verse non....I got 95 psi and 94 psi respectively on one and two. How would this compare to s ay a new Javilin? 1957 35 hp

Mas

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Javilin compression question

120 psi would be the goal...but a lot depends on your gauge and testing procedures. Once running again, some sea foam to loosen the rings will probably help.

Get her going and test again...she'll run on 95/94 psi. The good thing is both numbers are close and is what you really want.

Mas

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Are you testing with the starter or manually?

Salfal

Cadet

I am using a MAC Tools screw in with a release button,it has been very accurate,the motor has been sitting for 10 years according to PO and I am useing a fresh hot battery and spinning the starter in 5-6 second intervals.
I understand that once running Sea Foam and some run time will improve everything.it is mounted on a 1958 Cutter Jet De-ville!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Yeah run a few tanks through her and re test.

Post some pics!

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

On those motors, you want to make sure the compression releases are working properly, or you won't get an acurate reading. What I would do, is remove the acuator arm, from the head and try it with the starter again. It's nothing uncommon for those adjustments to be out of whack, from previous owners wrenching on them. They're almost like setting valves. If those adjustment screws don't have the correct lash to the little valves, then they won't open when you use the hand starter, or they won't close properly.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

The gap in the compression relief valve tappets should be set at about 0.020, the actual spec from the manual is 0.018 to 0.025.

To adjust the gap, loosen the hex lock nut and turn adjusting screw in or out as necessary. Tighten locknut securely and recheck gap. Be sure to adjust both valves when doing this.

Salfal

Cadet

The actuator arm is missing is it still required to set the relief valves?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

without no actuator arn, there are no adjustment screws. :D:D:D