No spark from any plugs

marlind

Recruit
:confused: Day before yesterday, I pulled the boat out to run the motor to get ready for a fishing trip. I put the muffs
on and cranked it up. Fired right up. I ran it for 20 minutes, killed it, cranked it again, then killed it. went inside to eat lunch,
about 20 minutes. Went back out and cranked it again. ran for 5 minutes and died. Never cranked again. I'm not getting any
spark from all 4 plugs. This same thing happened to me 2 years ago and I left it sit in my garage for about a year and got
bored one day, pulled it out and cranked it. Fired right up. ran all last year without a problem and now this.
Help

stormmnv

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: No spark from any plugs

give us some information on hp and serial#
you say "never cranked again" as in will not crank over, or turns over, just will not run.

go to www.cdilelectronics.com and find a wealth of information on testing your electrical system.
also look at your wiring harness, lot of the old Merc. 4cyl. have the electrical wiring breaking down that can cause problems.

marlind

Recruit

It turns over just wont run
115 pro series tracker serial # 0G302483

marlind

Recruit

Yeah I know. It's making me dizzy with all the info I've been finding.
Problem is there are several things that can cause this and they're all pretty advanced for me

marlind

Recruit

ok, I read that post on plugs out plugs fire. plugs in no fire. due to weak battery. I'll try that this morning.
But it ran for 5 minutes and then died. Is that possible? If so then my rectifier could be bad. I ohmed my stator
and it showed 670 which indicates bad adaptor module (red stator). I'm going to try the plugs out test and if I get spark
then I'll get a new battery. The battery charges but draws down quickly upon cranking so maybe not enough amps.

carholme

Rear Admiral

marlind:

Your s/n comes up as a model:

1115412ST MERCURY 1996 115

Parts Listing:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/360.cfm

Service Manual P/N: 90-830234R04

http://1manual.com/Mercury manuals/Service Manual PDFs/TwoStroke/830234r3/cover.pdf

You must have Adobe Acrobat reader installed to use this manual. If you scroll down to the lower part of the opening page, you will see the various engine components in red. Click on the one you want and when the first page opens, click on the "Save As" icon at the top LH corner of the page and you can save it to your computer.

Gerry