Omc coupler search. 2 piece rear main

Tommywalton

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ive found a few similar posts but not exactly what i need. I am about to buy an unusually well maintained chapparell 2300. 89 or 90 not sure. Its so clean its unbelievable. Less than 200 hrs. Anyway it has a bum engine. Rusted from its last outing. Water in through exhaust valves. So i know i need riser kit most likely. My delima is i have an 86 capri with a 5.7 its a 2 piece rear seal. The capri was a 1 piece 305(aq225) originally. I bought a corvett flywhell, 12" and made the 2 piece set up work. So i want to use the 2 piece 5.7 in the chapperall also. Problem is the coupler for the omc connects using flywheel bolts:/ . My 2 piece crank flange wont bolt to the omc 1 piece coupler. Does anyone know of a source for this 2 piece flange coupler? Ebasicpower.com has them on back order. Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Omc coupler search. 2 piece rear main

I am about to buy

Ayuh,.... I think parts availablity was mentioned,....

Welcome to the world of OMC....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I would just drop a rebuilt engine in there of the proper vintage. Down the road you will have less problems that way with couplers.

Tommywalton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is exactly what i need thanks! Also above "down the road" is mentioned. Do these type of couplers fail regularly or something? With the setup im speaking of the only thing i would need down the road is this coupler. Everything else is same. The cost of a coupler is far less than locating a 1 piece rear seal engine, buying rebuild kit, machine work, assembly cost, time and all the other stuff involved with building a small block chevy. I know because thats exactly what i did last year to the "2piece" 350 i already have that is perfect. Also do the omc couplers connect to the crank with bolts or studs?

HCMQA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am amazed that such an awesomely cared for Chappy has a bad engine at only 200 hours??? Seems fishy.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I am amazed that such an awesomely cared for Chappy has a bad engine at only 200 hours??? Seems fishy.
22 year old engine. Probably sat unused for long period of times which is worse than being regularly used.

Tommywalton

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sat in the accountants personal warehouse from 1993 til 2011. After the 2011 trip, month ago he called me to fix it. #3 and 7 rusted shut. Water in through the exhaust valves. I pulled it apart. Heads were fine. Cylinderwalls fine. Im sure the riser is to blame. Its major rust in side. I bet it got into exhaust manifold seeped in and BAM! Rusted out. Im not fooling with it cause my small block chevy is awesome.