First Boat looking for advice

rbyham

Seaman Apprentice
I see several people making good use of the helpful and knowledgeable folks on this forum for buying a new boat. In this case, this wold be my first outright owned boat. I was raised in a boating family and have family in the business so have heard the talk and had some experience but this would be first actual purchase. Just the wife and I with occasional take smaller grandkids out for riding and maybe tubing. Home lake wold be Lanier in Georgia. Have Toy Tundra for towing and would like freedom to visit other lakes where I might even overnight on occasion. So feels like a cuddy is needed. I have my eye on this one. Going to see it tomorrow. What do you think in general and what beyond the obvious floor/transom should I check. If I get serious I would have a mechanic look at the drivetrain. Thanks for any wise counsel you might have at this point.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: First Boat looking for advice

Pretty much the same things that have been hashed out on the similar threads over the past few days.

It must be boat buying season, cuz folks are coming out of the woodwork asking about boats.

Boats of that era had a lot of wood in them and that wood has been exposed to moisture for the past 20+ years. Then there is all the engine stuff. It looks to have a mercruiser I would think either the 5.0 or the 5.7 since it is a V8. If it is the 7.4, then you'll need extra grab rails to hold on.

Nothing beats a ride out in the lake to see what the boat is made of . . . so don't be shy about asking for a trial run. The mechanic can come along too. Might as well do the compression test if you have a mechanic advising.

Let us know how it goes. . .

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Put that boat on the lake in the Georgia sun and you'll have a sweatbox to rival the one in Cool Hand Luke. A 20 foot bowrider would give you a lot more usable space. If you want to overnight, a lot of the Corps lake have campgrounds with cabins.

hog88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree with the 2 above, spent the night on a small cc once, it was miserable. No AC, cramped ended up outside to get some air.

For what you are planning on using it for, and what you have to tow with, look at a pontoon or a bowrider. Heck you can pitch a tent on the deck of a pontoon and be more comfortable.

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

I agree with the 2 above, spent the night on a small cc once, it was miserable. No AC, cramped ended up outside to get some air.

For what you are planning on using it for, and what you have to tow with, look at a pontoon or a bowrider. Heck you can pitch a tent on the deck of a pontoon and be more comfortable.

Couldn't agree more. Spent many a night on the deck of a 28' Parker cause it's just miserable in the cuddy...no circulation, hot, humid. I have a friend that did just what Hog is suggesting...found a screened dining fly that the poles connected into holes around the floor perimeter...worked like a champ!