tricky pee problem

sajjg001

Cadet
i have a 84-50 hp merc with a new impeller that is installed correctly. It pees ok at idle but there is steam mixed in the stream. (temp is around 130) problem is when at anything over half trottle it stops peeing and shoots nothing but steam. so i go back to idle speed and it starts peeing again. help!!:confused:

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: tricky pee problem

If you run it for a few mins at partial throttle what does your temp go to? I have seen the water input line grommet fail at the powerhead, and what happens is the pressure shoots water out UNDER the powerhead and straight down to the exhaust, rather then through the tell-tale hole.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Oh and did you replace the water pump gaskets?

sajjg001

Cadet

This is my first merc and first motor bigger that a 15hp. I have completely rebuilt the smaller motors this one is a little more of a challenge.

Have not replaced the gaskets they seemed to be in pretty good shape.

I have babied it since this started happening, but it is well on its way to getting too hot when i throttle it down.

Does the grommet go on the top of the copper tube? would i be able to replace it without taking the powerhead off?

Is there a possibility that i have a blockage in the water jacket.

I am having a hard time getting it to prime on water muffs so it has been a little harder to work on in the driveway. Is there a trick on these mercs?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Prime as in fuel? Not really a trick to it. Mine starts easier on muffs actually. There is a grommet that is in the waterpump base that people often neglect to change. That may be the culprit. But I like to run a flush device up the main water input before putting on the lower unit. Does your motor have a motor flush screw?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

If it has the flush screw it is in the lower unit by the waterpump. Open that up and let her rip!!!!!

sajjg001

Cadet

It doesn't have a flush screw.(that i know of) Where would i check for it?

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Right on the side of the lower unit by the waterpump.