Outdrive noise vibration getting worse....can ya help?

dragracer

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just posted this question on another board and then I remembered you guys. I remeber you guys helping me out before so maybe some of you all have the answer. Anyhow, here's the post....<br /><br />Don't know much about how an outdrive works but I think I am developing some sort of problem with ours. It's a '91 Mercruiser that we bought just a few years ago. When we bought the boat it had a very slight vibration when the steering was turned all the way to the left or right. Lately it has gotten quite a bit worse. Now when I start the engine, there seems to be sort of a rumbling noise that I don't remember hearing before. All I used to be able to hear was the water churned up by the lower unit and the exhaust(slightly). Not sure that has anything to do with the vibration...may be something separate. The vibration is getting worse too. When cruising and making a turn it vibrates now...... Don't have to turn all the way to the left or right lock like before. <br /><br />Can anyone tell me what this noise and vibration might be? I assume there is some sort of U-joint between the outdrive and the engine. Is this the culprit?? Sorry don't have a clue what it's called. <br /><br />Does this "U-joint" turn even when the boat is in neutral? Because I'm hearing the rumbling noise whether it's in gear or not. Or could I have two problems?<br /><br />Any help much appreciated. Sorry to be so dumb an this stuff.

mkfs9

Seaman
Re: Outdrive noise vibration getting worse....can ya help?

yes you do have this type of joint in your outdrive,and yes it does spin all the time to keep the impeller turning for your cooling system.hard turns will increase the preasure on these joints.should get it checked out before fate has its day.

canufixit

Cadet

Hi,<br /><br />HAs the outdrive been pull every year, Ujoints greased/checked, alignment checked with the alignment rod ??<br /><br />I'd do this now if not ... You may get a lot of noise from the double ujoints (Either need grease or are worn and need replacing). from the Gimbal bearing (Lack of grease, worn bearing - or perhaps you got water in the gimbal bearing and the roolers have rust/pits) - and finally the engine alignment will cause noise - especially if way out of alignment ...

tommays

Admiral

i would repiar it or have it done ASAP allowing it to fail will can cause realy nasty dammage in the bell housing and transome area<br /><br /><br />i would also have the gimble bearing checked<br /><br />tommays<br /><br />
..%5Cimages%5CCRUISER%5C809759.96%5C5.gif

dragracer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK thanks guys. Is the lower unit a real pain in the rear to take off and put back on?? Any idea what this stuff might cost me to have replaced(if it's that bad)?? This stuff isn't anything that you'd have to pull the engine to get to is it??<br /><br />I have never had the lower unit off and I doubt if the previous owner did either, but I just don't know.

dragracer

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I think I better take it to someone that knows what they are doing.

tufnoogies

Recruit

I just had a bravo III installed last year, brand new and Im not so sure I got my moneys worth on the install, The drive doesnt make much noise in the water from what i can tell but on the trailer on a hose i can hear "clacking " I'm not sure if this is good or bad as the drive makes no sound under way. But I did pull it off last week to check my universals and greased them up just in case and found that the boat guy routed the trim sender, tilt sender and speedo under a steel crossmember and completly pinched them off, " they havent worked since the replacement! " and i have been back 3 times for the same issue no avail! ,, anywho took the drive off and found that the side bolts under the trim/tilt senders were almost completly out of the drive.. I dont think they were tightened down as i only have 20 hours on the new drive . so I replaced the senders thru the hull and fixed my speedo pickup tube as well..now everything works fine, except i can still hear the noise from the drive ..it doesnt change if I tilt up to half ,,or turn from side to side,, put it in trailer mode and it gets really loud.. Is this normal??<br /><br />thanks again .. \<br />mark