rectifier blues...please help j150eXERA

drthursday

Recruit
Im in a pickle i purchaced a boat 17 proline center c w/ 150 johnson ,starts runs but battery is dying 1st cleaned termials , 2nd bought new battery , then cleaned up some electrics wires still batery dies then, removed hood found something strange some one spiced off the stator wire pre rectifier then jumped it to gray wire for the vco the man i bought it from said the this motor used to be oil injectted now just mix with gas but why would someone jump off the stator proir to rectifier i would understand maybe if he jumped after the rectifier to get an extra 12 volt but now battery is dying tested stator running and not came up with infinity on meter so they said this would be fine cause means no ground or short then tested rectifier came up with 11.47 and 12.4 volts running so rectifer is bad not enough to charge but my questioned is how do you remove and make your engine without the oil injection so i can go back and check this guys work what would be the proper steps to make oil injecting removed on a j150exera 1994

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: rectifier blues...please help j150eXERA

They spliced the grey wire to the yellow wire to make the Tach work. I suspect you your rectifier is bad check the voltage with the engine off at the rectifier and I bet they are the same as when it is running.