trolling motor wiring diagrams

Carl Jr

Recruit
i I have a motorguide 12-24 trolling motor. My Xpress boat has a rocker switch on the bow which switches the 2 batteries from 12 to 24 volts. Also has a charge location. Can someone help me with a diagram on wiring from batteries to switch to trolling motor? Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: trolling motor wiring diagrams

How about a little help! Is this a three wire or four wire system? Three terminal receptacle or four? Is the wiring currently disconnected, missing, or what? In other words, what exactly are you trying to figure out. Pictures of the front and back side of the switch panel helps.

Carl Jr

Recruit

When I bought this boat batteries were bad which I replaced. Tried the trolling motor, but it seems its only running on 12 volts. The batteries are hooked up with a positive & negative wire each running to the front of the boat to the switch. The trolling motor is 75# pro series, foot control with 2 wires going to the plug (red & black). The switch has 2-12V charge on top. 12V in the middle. 12/24 run on the bottom. I think something is hooked up wrong

Skeeterbait

Cadet

Did Motorguide ever make a 12V/24V in the Pro Series? I dont recall one. The 75# Pro Series I know of is a 24V only model. Perhaps you have a boat originally wired for a 12V/24V motor but the motor has been replaced with a streight 24V motor. If that is the case they may have wired the switch to provide 24V only to the motor or only run it with the switch set to 24V. If so, you actually no longer need the switch and a pair of the four cables running to the batteries. Two cables from the batteries with a short jumper across the batteries would be a better wiring style.

However If I am wrong and your motor is indeed 12V/24V then please disregard my comments.

Carl Jr

Recruit

your right my trolling motor says 24v not 12-24v will i be able to bypass my switch and directly to my plug with the 1 set of cables hooked up in a series?

Skeeterbait

Cadet

Yes, one wire from the positive terminal of one battery to the plug. One wire from the negative terminal of the other battery to the plug. A short jumper wire across the two remaining terminals. The positive wire to the plug needs a 50 amp breaker or fuse near the battery.

Carl Jr

Recruit

I'am going to give it atry THANKS GUY'S maybe i wont have to fish off the bank

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Whoa Back on bypassing the switch. You already have 24 volts at the receptacle when the switch is set to 24V. If you want to retain the option of charging both batteries at once from a single portable 12v charger then leave the system as it is. The only thing you need to do is use a voltmeter to determine which two terminals on the receptacle provide 24 volts with the switch in the 24V position. You then check the two wires on the troller plug and make sure they match the two on the receptacle that provide 24 volts. Please don't butcher the wiring as the next owner and perhaps your own boat service shop will thank you and charge you a lot less should you ever need electrical work done. It makes no sense to butcher a working system.

Skeeterbait

Cadet

Silvertip is correct that the current system can work if you use the correct leads on the receptacle. To each his own. I personally would remove it. 1, it is confusing, it confused you and likely would the next owner. 2, it requires two breakers, one on each positive lead near the battery to be safe. Do you have that now? 3, it requires additional wire connections at the switch which subjects it to more corrosion and more resistance. 4, your not going to buy another new 12/24 volt motor so the switch is never going serve a purpose again.

I personally would wire the two spare wires to my crank battery and replace the switch with a 12 volt receptacle to charge my phone, run a spotlight, or something like that.

What ever works best for your needs.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Anyone that needs to service this system professionally understands the system. Those that don't need to learn. changing it means the next person that needs to work on the boat (professionally or otherwise) needs to figure out what was changed.