Mariner 25 hp Water Flow Mystery

jtreadway

Recruit
Hey everyone,

I have an issue that I can't seem to figure out.

I have a 1982 Mariner 25 hp (ser # 695-010895) that will not pump water correctly. Below is a list of the work i have done.

NEW PARTS:
-Water Pump Kit ( Includes Gasket Below Bottom Plate, Bottom Plate, Impeller, Key, Gasket Between Bottom Plate and Housing, Metal Cup cover impeller, Gasket on top of Metal Cup, Housing, Lower Copper Tube Grommet, and new Bolts and Washers)
-Exhaust Gaskets (Plate between gaskets was solid)
-Gasket between powerhead and intermediate housing
-Thermostat (inlcluding gasket and spacer)

OTHER WORK:
-All channels are clear, and motor will pump good when pressurized water from the hose is fed to it using the muffs.
-Copper tube and upper grommet are good and making good seal.
-With the lower unit removed and a drill spinning the drive shaft, i get a stream shooting 3-5 inches above the copper tube. Seems reasonable considering the lower rpms of a drill when compared to the outboard running.
-Tested and the lake (very briefly) two days ago, and the motor is definitely not getting enough flow (was getting too hot too quickly; had to troll back in).

RESULTS OF WORK:
-The absolute best flow i've gotten is a spit and sputter from the telltale, even with the thermostat removed.
-Tested and the lake (very briefly) two days ago, and the motor is definitely not getting enough flow (was getting too hot too quickly; had to troll back in).

Does anyone have any idea where to go from here?

jtreadway

Recruit
Re: Mariner 25 hp Water Flow Mystery

Are You the original owner?

No. I traded for the motor (not pumping water) from a friend. This friend is very cheap and not mechanically inclined, so I didn't think it would be too much trouble to fix it. I was wrong.

My friend didn't know much about the motor's history.