Mercruiser 3.7 (late 80s) and mercruiser 470 (early 80s) fuel pump question

tbg0519

Recruit
I am replacing a 89 3.7L 180hp that is locked up with a 83 470 170hp. I have swapped the manifolds over so that everything links up and it will bump up to the 180hp as the othe engine is. My question has to do with the fuel pumps. On the 89 engine, the fuel pump has the bowl at the bottom of the pump. On the 83, it has the bowl at the top. I checked and both engines have the same cam shaft. I just needed to know if I am going to hose up the engine if I put in the other fuel pump. The levers are in different positions on them. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Mercruiser 3.7 (late 80s) and mercruiser 470 (early 80s) fuel pump question

I would play it safe and use the fuel pump that came on that motor, I have "88" twin 3.7LX's and went through a fuel pump issue awhile ago and found out alot about those engines built in"88-89" and I would not interchange parts from any other year unless a certified mercruiser mechanic say's its ok to do so.
hope this helps

riskibusiness

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Mercruiser 3.7 (late 80s) and mercruiser 470 (early 80s) fuel pump question

I would play it safe and use the fuel pump that came on that motor, I have "88" twin 3.7LX's and went through a fuel pump issue awhile ago and found out alot about those engines built in"88-89" and I would not interchange parts from any other year unless a certified mercruiser mechanic say's its ok to do so.
hope this helps
Agreed!!!!!