Swimdeck rebuild on 99 Bayliner 2050 ss

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to rebuild my sun deck on my boat, its all rotted out and collapsed. Problem is, when i got the boat it didnt have any hinge on the rear of it. I was hoping someone on here could post pics of how theirs hinges? itd be very helpful because all i have is two 1 inch nubs that stick out on the boat for the deck to somehow hinge too, but theres nothing on the sundeck, no hinges, holes or anything

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Swimdeck rebuild on 99 Bayliner 2050 ss

Some pictures would do wonders, if you can post some.

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes i can take some pics tomorrow of it, but what i really need is to see someone else's, since mines missing something

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Heres a couple pics of what i have. swimdeck1.jpgswimdeck hinge.jpg

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

anyone on her ever done this before?

tpenfield

Staff member

You *might* be the first, but you could do some thread searching. Just to get the terminology straight, we are talking about a 'sun pad' not a 'swim deck', right?

Here is a link to one of my web pages that has a couple of photos of the sun pad on my boat (even though the primary subject is not about the sun pad). It is a large piece of fiberglass. Your sun pad looks like it is made of wood.

http://home.comcast.net/~tpenfield/Web_Page/My_Power_Boat/Pulling_The_Engine.html

My sun pad hinges from the back with a long piano hinge. It looks like yours is designed to vent from the back. So on a rebuild, you may have to hinge only at the outside edges or just hinge from the front.

Anyway, probably do some searching first and then formulate a game plan for a rebuild.

CatriderF7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sunpad might be it if thats what everyone else knows it as, ive only heard of swim deck, or sun deck. I wish mine was fiberglass, then i wouldnt be dealing with this. I was just thinking, maybe ill try making it a 2 or 3 piece instead of one big one, then i could probably get away without even hinging it, since the pieces would be small enough to just lift off from inside the boat to get to the storage compartments

morritl

Recruit

I need to rebuild my sun deck on my boat, its all rotted out and collapsed. Problem is, when i got the boat it didnt have any hinge on the rear of it. I was hoping someone on here could post pics of how theirs hinges? itd be very helpful because all i have is two 1 inch nubs that stick out on the boat for the deck to somehow hinge too, but theres nothing on the sundeck, no hinges, holes or anything

I am doing the same thing to my boat and have been having a problem finding the hinges that attached the sundeck to the boat. With the two one inch pins. Have you found them, if so, could you post a picture of them and maybe tell me where I could order some.

Thank you

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sunpad might be it if thats what everyone else knows it as, ive only heard of swim deck, or sun deck. I wish mine was fiberglass, then i wouldnt be dealing with this. I was just thinking, maybe ill try making it a 2 or 3 piece instead of one big one, then i could probably get away without even hinging it, since the pieces would be small enough to just lift off from inside the boat to get to the storage compartments

if you plan to change the original dimensions of the sun deck, be prepared to engineer a complete solution to fit it. Subdividing the swim deck into two sections will require additional supports created in certain locations.

I hope that OSB board is just for temporarily covering or what was originally found, that stuff should be outlawed on boats. It will crumble and fail like a rotted piece of wood.

Not only does the new design have to fit right, its got to stay in place when going +30 mph on choppy waters.

By the way, Bayliner boats does have the parts manual listing for the hardware available on their site for your boat.

Whether they still sell them is another thing, but you can call a Bayliner dealer and see if you can order that hardware. Otherwise start looking for alternatives.

http://www.baylinercustomercare.com/catalogs_index.html

Capri model - 2050CZ99 model

Page 5 out of 6 pages in chapter 7 - DECK HARDWARE

Specifically the following parts are what you are looking for:

The hinges you need for the sun deck that are missing

4. 74460 SUNLOUNGE HINGE,STBD 1.0 EA
5. 74459 SUNLOUNGE HINGE,PORT 1.0 EA

The hinge pin that is mounted on your hull are these below:

6. 74106 HINGE PIVOT PIN,STBD 1.0 EA
7. 74105 HINGE PIVOT PIN,PORT 1.0 EA

Fixing a sun deck cover for sterndrive boat should not be exceedingly hard, its just going to take a good measure of time, attention to detail, and hunting down the right parts to fix it.

I recommend you at least minimum latex paint whatever plywood you use for the sun deck and give it proper reinforcement underneath.

I would definitely do a thin coat of polyester resin to seal the wood on the top and edges, then fiberglass a single layer of chopped strand mat on the top. As long as any holes you make into the wood are sealed, you should be good.

1badbrd

Seaman Apprentice

I went to dealership and asked about the same thing. I believe they said it was about $200 per side both pieces. Im still in search of an alternative solution. Im going to go to a local metal fab shop and ask if they can cut and bend the piece and i will drill a hole and add the bushing. After looking at the piece its one solid piece that has one bend. I guess the poweder coating made the price jump.... Did you find any solution to the new hinge

1badbrd

Seaman Apprentice

i went to a local machine shop and got two brackets made out of stainless steel for $40