Should I put a 150hp Merc on my 1965 17' Glasspar

jgfrost

Cadet
Well I have a 1965 17' Glasspar which has a 90hp Evinrude outboard on it and it's more work then it is fun. I can get a 150hp merc pretty cheap but I'm not sure f it will sink me at lunching ramp. I think the 150hp Merc weigh is about 360lb but I can't figure out what my 90hp Evinrude outboard. All I do is a little salmon and bass fishing.
What do think? Should I go for it or should I find somthing a little lighter. The merc is just a couple hundred dollars.
Thanks for your option!

BonairII

Commander
Re: Should I put a 150hp Merc on my 1965 17' Glasspar

I doubt that your Glasspar is rated to handle the weight/torque of a 150. There should be plate in your boat stating hp limits etc. And that limit is based on a brand new transom and the weight and torque of 1960's motors.

My 16' Glasspar Avalon is rated for 95hp.

Buy the Merc for cheap and then resell it for a profit.....and get yourself a proper sized motor.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

working copy.jpgresized55.jpg000_0049.jpg100_5980.jpgSplashwell.jpg

NO! The Merc will not sink you at the launch ramp and Yes, you may be above what the hull is rated for. The Evinrude is a V4 and relatively heavy so the additional weight of the Merc will not be excessive. However, If you decide to buy the engine, you should evaluate the condition of your boat's transom and do repairs before installing the Merc. here are a couple of photos of a 14 foot boat originally designed for about 30-40 HP. It has a 125 on it (engine decals were changed). Notice that while it sits low in the water, it is in no danger of sinking. HOWEVER: Aslo notice in the last photo the extensive bracing inside the transom to absorb the extra power and thrust.

If you are above the hull's rated horsepower, then there may be issues but if you are basically just fishing and not going crazy with the engine, then no one will notice. If your boat is rated for 150 then there will be no problems at all. I suspect though that the 17 footer will be rated for somewhere around 120-125 HP.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I was growing up, we also had a 1967 16' Glasspar Avalon. Started with a Merc 650. 2 years later we went back to get the 95 that the boat was rated for. They didn't have any, but they had a brand new Merc 1250. They said it was only 5 pounds heavier than the 95 and sold it too us for the same price as a 95. We ran the 1250 on that boat from 69/70 till 1988 when I noticed everytime my brother cut the wake, the transom, engine well, and bench seat moved about an inch forward and back. I bought a new boat and installed the 1250 on it. Sold the Glasspar for the same ammount that my Dad bought it for in 67 without an engine. The guy put a 35 Merc on it and it was still on the water in 1995 when I left the Bay Area of CA.

Performance wise, our Glasspar was just a hair slower than a jet boat from a dead stop to 35, and there wasn't anyone she couldn't pull up on a single ski. 39 was top speed and at that speed the boat would lean over to the left and stay there, even turning to the right, it would lean to the left.

I really miss that boat.

Craig