1998 VR4 90hp Johnson upper motor mount broke?

Travis224

Cadet
My motor moves in a way that leads me and several others to think the mount is broke. I can't afford a shop so will take this on myself and a mechanic friend will help. What book or help can I get to help me? I have excessive side play, not in the steering. Anyone ever do this before?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1998 VR4 90hp Johnson upper motor mount broke?

If you're saying that you can grab the engine and shake it sideways back and forth without moving the steering cable etc, what has happened (in my experience) IS NOT a failure of the top motor mount but rather a failure of the splines in that exist in the bottom portion of the steering arm tube and the related splines in the bottom motor mount bracket of the engine.

If you can grab the powerhead and actually move it forward and backwards, then that is usually the top motor mount.

Which situation do you have?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Check the upper motor mount bolts, There were some engines that came from factory with the bolts loose. The fix was to just tighten the nuts.

Travis224

Cadet

Its not the powerhead or anything related to that area. All was tigjt and solid. What is involved in repairing the splines?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Its not the powerhead or anything related to that area. All was tigjt and solid. What is involved in repairing the splines?

The following is the procedure used for many years. If the design has changed whereas another procedure is needed, I'm sure the following will be corrected as needed.

All connections to the engine must be disconnected.... steering, fuel, oil, and electrical.

Have the engine supported with a hoist or support of your choice.

Remove the lower unit in order to get the shift rod out of the steering tube.

Remove the top main motor mount bolts, then remove the bottom motor mount bolts. Now, slide the engine out and away from the steering swivel bracket assembly.

Remove the large nut from the bottom of the steering tube. Now you can remove the lower motor mount housing and slide the steering tube out the top of the swivel bracket so that you can inspect the splines of both items and replace what is needed.

Travis224

Cadet

I dont use my motor that much, i will repair it this fall, whats the worst thing that can happen if i dont repair it right away? Its a 500$ parts fix and i cant do it right now.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Well, as you know, it's going to shake. However, those motor mounts are quite strong and it would surprise me if any of them would fail. You know you're going to use it anyway.... so just be observant. The worse that can happen is that all of the motor mounts fail (quite unlikely) which results in one hellava strugle to shift and steer. However it's impossible for the engine to fall off the boat (secured by steering and shift rod, etc).