Who else has 'Gilligan's Island' stuck in their heads?

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
So, I was 53 years old............

So, a while back my parents visited me at my new Eastern Shore abode, with new dock and boats.

I wanna give them a boat ride, to forestall arguments about 'moving away from the city.'

The weather was iffy, "10-70 knts, tornadoes, death&destruction, drizzle."

Fine, whatever, they're here. I'm takin them on the dang boat.

I get them on the boat. My mother complains that my pilings look 'dirty'.

We put around. Sun disappears behind Dorothy-sized clouds. I decide to head back. My mom says, "What, we're not going into the Bay? Fakename (bro-in-law) took us into the Bay. I say, Fakename took you out in summer on a nice day; It's time to head back. My father stands up to 'help'. A wave slams into the side of his head, looses his glasses.

My mom complains. It's background noise. I'm flipping on the power to the 3000GPH backup pump.

My mom, "Do you have an umbrella? I'm gonna find an umbrella..." My dad, "Sit down, I'll find the umbrella". Starts opening hatches..........

Meanwhile, wind is opposing tides coming in from the Tangier Sound. It is not looking good. So, we chug along at 3 knts, getting home. At the dock, I have opposing wind and current to deal with, to enter a tiny boat lift slot. I'm about to use some serious for and aft motor surges. So I shout. "SIT YOUR *** DOWN"
Which he does.

Later, my mom's wondering why we just didn't head 'out into open water'.

My dad said he thought we were all dead, until he heard me yell to him, "Sit your *** down"
He figurred I knew what I was doing, then.

A bit late, but I suppose I have now passed into adulthood, at least according to my dad.

Anyway, that friggen Gilligan song is forever stuck in my head when ever I see a cloud..........

tomdinwv

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Who else has 'Gilligan's Island' stuck in their heads w/parrents?

Funny story JD. Now just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fatefull trip, that started from this tropic port abord this tiny ship...

tpenfield

Staff member

Sounds more like Jerry Seinfeld taking his parents out boating . . .

Maclin

Admiral

My Dad does not understand the rules of the water regarding distance between boats. When I head back to the dock since he knows where that is by the shoreline he keeps telling me 'It's over there, hey, it's over there, hey..." every time I have to deviate from what he perceives is a straight beeline to the dock, trying to observe protocol and keep the proper distance between us and all the boats scattered about on the way back to the ramp area a couple of miles away. EVERY time I deviate from a straight course I get that chorus. It is kind of funny until I remember how many times I have mentioned why we can't just ram 'em all!

QC

Supreme Mariner

We've never had any of our parents aboard. I'm good with that. I love the tune though. Been there-done that, should not have been out.

buildmark

Seaman Apprentice

so did it end up being a 3 hour tour?

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, well, I'm kinda sorry I posted this at all.

Now I'm concerned that my mom will somehow find this forum and give me more carp.

At any rate, I was just whining about parents still thinking I'm a 50+ year old kid, getting their info from Animal Planet or Fox News or something, and giving me great advice like, "Watch for tsunamis, head out into the open waters, where are your flares?"

When all I need is for them to JUST SIT DOWN.

Seinfeld? Yeah, this is George Costanza's parents boating.