a good idea.....ICE

oops!

Supreme Mariner
I C E - IN CASE OF EMERGENCY

Apparently this is a standard procedure all paramedics follow at the scene of an accident when they come across your cell phone.

ICE - 'In Case of Emergency'

We all carry our mobile phones with names & numbers stored in its memory but nobody, other than ourselves, knows which of these numbers belong to our closest family or friends.

If we were to be involved in an accident or were taken ill, the people attending us would have our mobile phone but wouldn't know who to call. Yes, there are hundreds of numbers stored but which one is the contact person in case of an emergency? Hence this 'ICE' (In Case of Emergency) Campaign.

The concept of 'ICE' is catching on quickly. It is a method of contact during emergency situations. As cell(mobile) phones are carried by the majority of the population, all you need to do is store the number of a contact person or persons who should be contacted during emergency under the name 'ICE' ( In Case Of Emergency).

The idea was thought up by a paramedic who found that when he went to the scenes of accidents, there were always mobile phones with patients, but they didn't know which number to call. He therefore thought that it would be a good idea if there was a nationally recognized name for this purpose. In an emergency situation, Emergency Service personnel and hospital Staff would be able to quickly contact the right person by simply dialing the number you have stored as 'ICE.'

For more than one contact name simply enter ICE1, ICE2 and ICE3 etc. A great idea that will make a difference!

Let's spread the concept of ICE by storing an ICE number in our Mobile phones today

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: a good idea.....ICE

The admiral's been after me to do this for years. She'll be proud to know I just did (we won't tell her it was because iboats told me to:eek::p).

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Dang!! :eek: What a great idea, especially for we old and infirm guys who live alone. My kids will be so glad I did this.

Thanks, Oops!:)

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

I suspect I'd have to get a cell phone to do this...

Maybe you could just get a plaque made that said "ICE - 123-4567" and then mount it somewhere in your vehicle. Or maybe, get a tatoo.

Just be sure to change the number to a "legit" one before having one made.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My cell came with this header already in place just had to load name from contacts

Petty Officer 1st Class

I lock my phone in case I ever lost it. How would this work if phone is locked? Would hate to carry around a cellphone with personal info unlocked.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Hmmm... I'll have to rename Ice-T and Vanilla Ice in my contacts! :0

Actually, a great idea, and I just added it to mine.

Deeppowder

Seaman Apprentice

It worked for me. I broke my neck on the ski hill this winter. The paramedics looked for it on my phone and used it. Great Idea.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I lock my phone in case I ever lost it. How would this work if phone is locked? Would hate to carry around a cellphone with personal info unlocked.

Yep, me too............ they will have to wait until I can respond or swipe my wallet ;)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

There are a host of other far more practical and effective ways to do this....read what SNOPES says.
It probably can't hurt, but it first started circulating by e-mail more than 5 years ago, and has surfaced again several times since.
Officially it has not generated a lot of adherents.

A card in your wallet with your photo, name, and emergency info is a better bet. Once you have that, by all means load up the cell....:)

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I use one of these when I ride:
http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

My iPhone is password protected although I do have contact info on my lock screen in case someone finds my phone. I might add emergency contact info to it. Basically I take a jpeg and add text info to it.

BeaufortTJustice

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a good idea...

As a side-note, some states have also started a database of emergency contact info that is attached to your DMV/driver license file. It is a voluntary system (you choose whether to provide info and which info), and only law enforcement has access to it during an emergency if you are incapacitated.

My home state (SC) recently enacted it. I know some other states have done it too, but don't know which ones off-hand.

Moody Blue

Captain

Our family incorporated this years ago. I insisted on it when the kids got their first phones. A great idea.

foodfisher

Captain

Great thought. I'm sure it's going to spread. I'll do it as soon as now.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

My contacts list has names like "mom", "dad", "sister", and "home".
If they can't figure out that these are the people to call, then they probably can't use my phone anyway.

BlackTurtle

Recruit

My ICE contact also lists drug allergies (none), medications (none), and organ donor.

Franziskaner

Cadet

Just purchased a new cell phone this week, suprised to see it had a listing for "ICE-Emergency Contacts" already set into my contact list. Great idea.