rattle/ clunk when putting into gear

sqhurt

Petty Officer 3rd Class
have a 89 vip with the 2.3 with cobra outdrive. I just purshased this boat not long ago. But finally got it all running right and tried to put her in gear to see what it do. Well it made this rattle/clanking noise then stopped, and sounded fine. The cover for the motor was off and when I tried it again the lever that the shift cable is connected to, the bracket for the esa shakes up and down when the rattle/ clanking is happening. Is this normal or do I need to do the adjustment on the cable? Thanks

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: rattle/ clunk when putting into gear

sounds like the normal sound of the lower unit clutch dogs engaging to spin the prop.
don't hesitate when shifting, and it usually works better/quieter when in the lake (more resistance on the prop)

sqhurt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

sounds like the normal sound of the lower unit clutch dogs engaging to spin the prop.
don't hesitate when shifting, and it usually works better/quieter when in the lake (more resistance on the prop)

OK, great. Thanks Alot! This is all new to me and was little worried when heard that noise. It sounds better if didn't hesitate shifting it. Thanks for the the reply.

BonairII

Commander

It sounds better if didn't hesitate shifting it. Thanks for the the reply.

You def don't want to put the motor is gear slowly. Idle all the way down...and just shift it quickly into gear. Easing the shift lever will a rattle because the dog is riding on the gear instead of postively engaging(meshing) with the forward or reverse gear.

Bondo

Staff member

You def don't want to put the motor is gear slowly. Idle all the way down...and just shift it quickly into gear. Easing the shift lever will a rattle because the dog is riding on the gear instead of postively engaging(meshing) with the forward or reverse gear.

Ayuh,.... Like Outboards, 'n Alpha outdrives,... Shift 'em Briskly,....

dirt23

Recruit
outdrive will only go in reverse

outdrive will only go in reverse

tring to figure out how to post help please