I have either a 1970 or72 or 73 Seahorse 70 Hp 3cyl outboard

Reelfish

Cadet
It has electric start, with auto choke. There is a small nipple on the bottom front portion of the engine, its under the air intake and it drips (very ,very slowly) what looks to be oil? Is it supposed to be connected to another part of the engine for lubrication? I have searched this entire engine and can find not one single open nipple that it would connect to. I do NOT have an air cleaner on this engine ans was wondering if that is where it is supposed to get hooked up?? Do i need an air cleaner? most peoplke have said no dont bother.
To give you an idea of how much oil has come out, i have had it in the water about 5 times, run thru 2- 5 gallon tanks or fuel and there is less than an ounce of oil in the bottom under the engine.
Where can i get the engine schematics and will that show where it is suppossed to get hooked up?

2nd part of question:
The engine runs great with the exception of it stalling out when putting it on the trailer and giving it light throttle, when i do ... it stalls. In order to get it up on the trailer i need to really throttle up to get it to go, do i need a mechanic to make that adjustment or is it a fuel mixture issue as i do like to run it a little on the rich side.
Plugs are new, wires are new and just had it tuned up and checked prior to putting it in the water. I bought it just a few wks ago.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: I have either a 1970 or72 or 73 Seahorse 70 Hp 3cyl outboard

For starters, your motor is 1974 or later if it is a 70 hp. Post a model number to narrow it down.

The nub on the intake manifold is for the blow-back drain in the airbox (not really an air cleaner). Two-strokes tend to get a little bit of blow back through the carbs so the drain keeps the fuel from collecting in the air box or the belly pan. There would be a short piece of hose between the bottom of the airbox and the nub on the intake. And yes, you do need the airbox. They show up on eBay from time to time and can also be gotten at outboard salvage places.

The stalling may be the idle circuits needing cleaning...

Reelfish

Cadet

For starters, your motor is 1974 or later if it is a 70 hp. Post a model number to narrow it down.

The nub on the intake manifold is for the blow-back drain in the airbox (not really an air cleaner). Two-strokes tend to get a little bit of blow back through the carbs so the drain keeps the fuel from collecting in the air box or the belly pan. There would be a short piece of hose between the bottom of the airbox and the nub on the intake. And yes, you do need the airbox. They show up on eBay from time to time and can also be gotten at outboard salvage places.

The stalling may be the idle circuits needing cleaning...

OK I just noticed I do have the AIR BOX that fits over carbs/air intake area, but nothing in front of that like a filter or something, it has areas to bolt something onto it. It looks like something should be there and the guy who checked it over said not to worry about it.? What is that called?
Also i noticed that the nipple i spoke about is directly under the bottom Carb. and its the only one of the 3 carbs that has one of these nipples.
I really thank you b/c it is my first boat.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

The nipple for the drain is on the low point of the airbox itself, not on the bottom carb. And, I would recommend putting a cover on as there is a bit of carb tuning to be gained from having it on there - has to do with sonic waves, etc. Also, it prevents bits of the cowling insulation from getting sucked in. There is no "filter" or "cleaner" to speak of - not much airborne dirt out on the water...