Crownline Problems

363coupe

Cadet
I have a 1999 Crownline 182BR with a Mercruiser 4.3L mated to a Mercruiser Alpha One Outdrive. The problem I'm having is there is a low pitched roar coming from somewhere betweer the back of the motor and the outdrive. It sounds kinda like a dry bearing and it's pretty loud. It makes the sound whether the boat is in nuetral, in gear, trim up, down, or level. Another problem which may be realted is when you put it in reverse, the motor bogs down and dies but it will go in foward fine. The boat had a new crate engine installed last August and it was done by a boat shop. It has been ran for 6 hours on the new motor but this year it's been giving me problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Crownline Problems

Bad gimbal bearing is what it sounds like probably due to water in the bellows. Pull the outdrive off and check both.

363coupe

Cadet
Re: Crownline Problems

Bad gimbal bearing is what it sounds like probably due to water in the bellows. Pull the outdrive off and check both.

Would that cause the engine to die when put in reverse? I figured the gimble bearing was the culprit but since it makes the noise in all postions of the outdrive could the motor be out of line?