1992 Evinrude 70hp blew ignition fuse. Now no power.

stony2977

Recruit
Hi guys,

I'm new here. I've read the posts and can seem to find my problem.

Took the boat out today. It ran great until I was going through a channel. I was idling along and all of a sudden it died. It felt like I might have bottomed out but when I tried to restart there was no power to anything.

I found the 25 amp ignition fuse under the hood blown. I replaced it and it started up right away.

Now it seems to idle a little rough and when I give it any throttle it is missing and shaking. It has lost all power over trolling speed.

I got it back to the landing and pulled the fuel line to run it out of fuel. Then I pulled the plugs and had a buddy watch while I cranked it. He said all three had spark but I didn't see it. I can only take his word for it.

I assume it's an ignition problem. I would like any insight before tearing into it.

It's a 1992 Evinrude 70hp. Model E70TLEND.

Thanks.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1992 Evinrude 70hp blew ignition fuse. Now no power.

get a DVA adapter from the link below in my sig, and download the free troubleshooting guide also in blue below. do a compression check first.

Ricky S.

Cadet
Re: 1992 Evinrude 70hp blew ignition fuse. Now no power.

I dont know if this applies to boat motors but I do know that some motors have keyways on the flywheel that will shear when something is hit.
When they only shear halfway the motor will still run but be out of time.Mowers have this feature but I am not sure that boat motors do.
Iam no expert just a kind of all around mechanic.I would check the flywheel key to see if its sheared or partway sheared.I Hope this helps in some way.Good luck.