Yamaha Jet Boat

alhaga25

Recruit
I am looking at a Yamaha 242 limited jet boat and had a question. With the jet engine vs a prop motor do you suck things into it often? I am looking to get a used boat and am new to boating. Can someone help? Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Yamaha Jet Boat

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.....

With a prop boat, in the weeds, it'll clog, but a bump in reverse will clear the prop....

With a Jet,... Yer goin' Swimmin'....

ziggy

Admiral

With the jet engine vs a prop motor do you suck things into it often?
not if ya don't go to shallow, or into the weeds. some yamahas have a clean out above the impeller to clear the stuff if ya do get into the blues.
i did the pwc (a jet pump is a jet pump, pwc or jetboat) only for 9 years. i never sucked up any stuff. i also used judgement when i saw a patch of weeds and stayed clear. i didn't run in shallow water. local lake boater. i'd start it in no less than 2' depth (knee deep at jet pump). no issues ever with suckin stuff up..

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer

Personally I prefer the control of having a prop in the water, especially manuvering in reverse and in nutral. Jet drives are nice, and will operate in 2 ft of water at slow speeds. I have repaired many jet pumps where rocks were sucked up in shalow water. I do like the ability to beach in the sand but i slil walk out into deeper water to rinse sand from pump to avoid ingestin into cooling system. when swimming from back of boat you have to be concerned about avoiding prop. every drive system has pros and cons. That is why there are choices. It is personal preferance. It also depends on the type of boating you do.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Depends entirely on the bottom conditions of wherever you'll be using it. I bought two jet ski's new in '97. Had them until fall of '06, and never had a single issue with weeds or rocks. In '07, I bought my Sea Doo (Speedster 150 SCIC). First four years I never had an issue. Last year was another story. I had to "clear" the pump every other time out. Easy to do if I was close to home. Put it on the lift and hoist it up. Out in the middle of the lake, it's kind of a pain.

Don't buy the hype that jet boats don't handle well at slow speeds. It's a learned skill that is very different to a prop driven boat. Once learned, a jet boat will out maneuver any prop boat at slow speeds (and most at high speeds).

Philster

Captain

Overall, jet boats are still chasing propped boats in overall performance, etc. The gap is narrowing, but the best jet boats have two engines to match a single traditional engine, and they have clean-outs accessible from above the water. Two engines come with certain costs and risks. Factor this in.

They don't steer as well at low speeds and they don't have the overall support at marinas, but it is growing. They cannot be wet slipped. They are high 'n' dry boats or trailered boats only.

They are decent values and the technology is proven. Still, I don't think they are quite as good as propped boats, based on direct experience and a plethora of reviews, articles, etc. The newer ones are way better than in years past, and if it were a Yamaha and sold with a great warranty and marina with a support network for them, it might be worth thinking about.

They seem to attract first-time buyers.

haulnazz15

Captain

Agree w/Philster entirely. They have their pros/cons, but they still rank behind props in efficiency and low-speed handling. I have driven several jet-boats both new and old big-block berkley versions, I've also owned a jet ski for the past 10 years. I've never had to clean out an intake grate or impeller of weeds/lake debris, but I don't start them until it's at least waist-deep water (3-4ft). I also don't beach any of my water toys. That being said, I did get stranded on the water once when a friend decided to do a 360 after I let go of the rope skiing. You guessed it, rope wound itself around the impeller shaft and fused itself together (nylon rope). Shaft wouldn't spin, which means no start/no run. Ruined the day at the lake as this occurred in the first 45 minutes on the water. If it had been a prop, there would have been much less issue.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

They don't steer as well at low speeds and they don't have the overall support at marinas, but it is growing. They cannot be wet slipped. They are high 'n' dry boats or trailered boats only.

Disagree on the steering issue but that's another story.

What I'm more concerned with is your thought behind the "cannot be wet slipped" statement. Mine sits in the water from pretty much Memorial day through Labor day. Have yet tp have any issues and I've owned it for four years now.

I would not own a jet boat if I were limited to one boat. But as a "plaything", you can't get much better in terms of fun.

edit: OK, just read the article EZMOBEE linked to and it explained some issues with salt water but does that also hold true for fresh water? Time to take a look at the insides of my pump I guess. Haven't noticed any issues but I guess we'll see.

Philster

Captain

Your comment about low-speed handling of a jet boat flies in the face of some very well-documented issues with jet-boat steering at low speeds. It's hardly conjecture on my part.

It would be disingenuous to not mention it in a thread wherein someone inquires about jet boats.

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Your comment about low-speed handling of a jet boat flies in the face of some very well-documented issues with jet-boat steering at low speeds. It's hardly conjecture on my part.

It would be disingenuous to not mention it in a thread wherein someone inquires about jet boats.

Whose comment were you refering to? If mine, then here's my reply. I have owned an outboard, an I/O and a straight inboard. My little jet boat will run circles around all of them. I can turn it 180 degrees in it's own length. I can also move it directly sideways. I can do things in it that none of my other boats (or any that I have ever owned) could even think about doing. I will take my own experience over someone elses "well-documented issues" every day of the week. How much real experience do you have with a modern jet boat. Meaning more than just an hour or two (it took me about a month to really get good at handling the boat). Or did you just read some articles?

Now having said all that, my little jet boat is the least used boat in the arsenal. It's a fun, fast little toy but not really practical for anything other than playing.

It is a little "disingenuous" to mention "well documented issues" without quoting a source.

Philster

Captain

Your little jet boat can't run circles around things it can't catch. Jet boats don't get on plane as well as propped boats (i.e., they have more wetted hull and this affects top speed drastically). They generally fall flat in the 50's). Not bad, but with lots of HP, they still hit a wall.

I no more have to cite my claims than you have to prove your anecdotal evidence to be true. The OP seeks feedback, and not scientific studies in peer-reviewed articles. You own one jet boat. You are one guy. Feedback here is a collection of feedback from years of being in the boating industry; being in the boating community; driving jet boats; riding on them all day and being a long-term marina club member of one of the biggest purveyors of jet boats on the East Coast, and no one would ever be shocked to hear that low-speed handling issue highlighted. It comes up time and time again. Some have scurried to add steering fins for finer control; other have leaned on twin-engine designs and throttle work, and we've acknowledged the gap is narrowing.

Don't be so sensitive. Whenever jet boat discussions come up, people are often warned of the low-speed steering characteristics. There are even some very funny videos of people unable to trailer them in moderate breezes.

alhaga25

Recruit

I am looking at a Yamaha 242 limited jet boat and had a question. With the jet engine vs a prop motor do you suck things into it often? I am looking to get a used boat and am new to boating. Can someone help? Thanks.

I wanted to thank everyone for their feedback. I think we are going to go for new vs used, and go down to Lake Anna and go for a test drive.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

as the owner of 3 different jet boats, and probably a dozen prop boats, I'm fairly qualified to answer the steering question... A jet boat with an experienced operator will EASILY out handle a prop boat, at any speed. With my single engine jet, I can pivot in my own length, I've got brakes from any speed, and I can slide the boat straight sideways. Unless you have pods or thrusters, you aren't going to be doing that in a prop boat.

My favorite maneuver at the fuel dock is to come in nose first, and then tap the brakes just before touching. I pivot around in my own length, and then slide it straight over to the side about 6 feet and tie up. There is no other boat on the river I'm on that is capable of that, period.

Jets developed a bad reputation because you have lots of PWC's without reverse buckets. I agree, no reverse bucket, and your low speed control is bad, and you can't stop. There is no neutral, if the engine is on you are moving. You also had lots of inexperienced operators, so that translated into lots of people running into the docks!

smclear

Chief Petty Officer

Your little jet boat can't run circles around things it can't catch. Jet boats don't get on plane as well as propped boats (i.e., they have more wetted hull and this affects top speed drastically). They generally fall flat in the 50's). Not bad, but with lots of HP, they still hit a wall.

The topic or question was low speed handling. And in that arena, my little jet will run circles around anything. Of course it is not the fastest boat on the lake. Not really even close, But it will beat most of the boats out there. Your estimate of 50's is accurate for the normally aspirated version. With the super charger and inter-cooler, mine will run 58 (gps) all day long in the summer. In the early spring, or late fall, when the water and air are colder, it will hit 63-65 all day long. Again, far from the fastest, but very respectable. And it gets there in a flash.

TorchedGT

Seaman

SO MANY misconceptions on jet drives in this thread, it makes me SICK. It's incredibly obvious that many people in here stating that "props are still supreme" and "jets have many negatives, still catching up, making you go for a swim, etc" are totally full of it.

I've owned and driven both; actually the first boat I owned was the Yamaha in my signature. The primary misconception in this thread is regarding maneuverability. YES jets have a more complicated control system which requires understanding and thought before throwing controls around, but the possibilities are far greater than a single engine I/O or outboard.

When I bought the jet boat, I dreaded close-in maneuvering due to the misconceptions - I mastered the boat within a month and could go anywhere/do anything including tight docking areas with expensive boats all around in restaurants and stuff.

Now, having sold it and being the owner of a single I/O - it's the opposite. I could throw my Yamaha in neutral, turn the wheel hard-over, and throttle-up; the boat would rotate on its' own axis!!! You could almost achieve this with an I/O but you'd still be covering ground and would be switching gears/hard-over steering every few seconds.

Don't disregard the draft issue. 18" versus 32+" is nothing to laugh at, it allows me and my friends to sit in the water on the sand listening to music with water at our chest while we have to push the boat out of the way when it floats over to us - not a bad problem to have!

The usable space behind the boat is also great.. the lounge areas the newer yammies offer is spectacular, it's literally an "engineless hull design" as some call it. Plus, if safety is a concern w/ sharp objects.. there's no contest - on my LS I could hang on the grab handles and float my legs up under the transom flush against it - smooth as glass with zero protrusions except the transducer and speedo pickup.

"some" yamahas have clean out plugs?! My 13-year-old yamaha had it, and I'm pretty sure they all did! All the new ones do obviously, and the new single engine draws 12" of water!

Another advantage is the planing time. Coming out from bridges and no-wake zones, my old Yammie would KILL any boat on the lake, I don't care if it had twin ZZ502s, there was simply no comparison.

Granted top-speed efficiency has always been a problem with jets, but for many applications and family-owned boaters, this doesn't matter.

It's not an issue of "catching up" - it's a matter of offering a package of advantages that no other drive system can offer. Period. Nothing I stated above can be argued with or skewed. The MAIN issue revolving around these engines for ME is the fact that they lack top-end speed and sound like a weed-wacker instead of a nice healthy V8. My LS would do 55, but wouldn't sound even half as good as a bayliner doing 40 w/ a 350MPI.

I don't care what you pick one way or another - as I stated before, I'm now in the I/O crowd with a big block Chevy, but I absolutely loved the capabilities that my old Yammie had, and if someone offered that with a V8 I'd jump on it in a heartbeat! Yes I know Ultra makes some awesome larger jet boats, but they're still just fair-weather run abouts.

Philster

Captain

The only thing that shocks me is how offended people get when you point out anything about their boats that might be on the 'cons' side of any review list anywhere.

Healthy discussion fleshes out all sorts of thing.