Evinrude 8 hp Help!

sean787879

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1985 Evinrude 8 hp. The motor has been sitting since October 20ll in my basement. I pulled the motor out today to try and fire it up for spring. I primed it and had the choke all the way out and started pulling and nothing happened the motor sounds totally dead. It wasn't even sputtering. It didn't sound like it wanted to start at all. I could smell gas so i don't think it is the fuel filter. Between me and my brother we must have pulled it like 100 times :(. If you have any tips please let me know.

Thanks,
Sean

nwcove

Admiral
Re: Evinrude 8 hp Help!

may sound like a dumb question, but does the motor have a "dead man /lanyard"? is it there? ( just bought a non running 1990 8 hp, seller couldnt get it to run, picked it up, didnt even look at it, got it home, the lanyard was gone!)

nwcove

Admiral

as mentioned above, does it have good spark? if so, try putting a few drops of premix directly into the plug holes.

Cornbread9

Seaman Apprentice

I have the same problem with a 1998 6.0 Evinrude. Just joined website. How do I start my own thread without hijacking this one?

-Motor sat 5 years (looks brand new; i know the original owner; maybe 30 hrs on motor)
-Fuel hose was missing? replaced it.
-motor ran 3/17/12 ( had good spark, started first pull)
-3/18/12 motor wont run
-now no spark

What do i do next? Neighbor told says "welcome to owning an outboard"

River Boy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Cornbread, upper left hand corner of the page on the main forum page it'll say "Post New Thread". Hit that button and you're there.